• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nuffsaid View Post
    DR,
    could you copy over the "Current State Of Play" from post 1 of the previous thread? I think it's useful.
    Ta
    Done.

Comment

Attendance

Thanks DR for keeping us updated.

Is anyone attending on Monday?

Comment

Originally posted by ContractIn View Post
        Thanks DR for keeping us updated.

Is anyone attending on Monday?
        I'm not but a few people are. I have arranged for someone to call me so I can post the result.

I hope I'm not the bloody purveyor of bad news yet again.

Comment

Do the CoA allow blogging/posts from smart phones inside the courtroom itself. I read a news article a few months back that this was now allowed, subject the agreement of the sitting judge.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
            Do the CoA allow blogging/posts from smart phones inside the courtroom itself. I read a news article a few months back that this was now allowed, subject the agreement of the sitting judge.
            The judge may not say very much anyway. It can literally be just a handing down of paper copies of the judgment.

Comment

Attendance

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              The judge may not say very much anyway. It can literally be just a handing down of paper copies of the judgment.
              Not much to see if last time is anything to go by. However the revenue turned up mob handed, for what difference that makes. I'll certainly try to be there but I don't think it's worth a long trip. They just hand a piece of paper out and that's your lot.

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
                Not much to see if last time is anything to go by. However the revenue turned up mob handed, for what difference that makes. I'll certainly try to be there but I don't think it's worth a long trip. They just hand a piece of paper out and that's your lot.
                I look forward to catching up with you again.

For anyone thinking of attending, the LJ(s) will state their findings for both Huitson and Shiner and hand over piece(s) of paper with the reasons for their decisions to Counsel of the involved parties. No one else is entitled to a copy at that time.

Later on Monday the detail will be posted on the CoA website linky previously posted by DR.

The result will be posted here within 5 minutes of its announcement.
                Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Don't HMRC and Montp already know the result?

If so, I am sure you will be able to read the body language of those who attend!!

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post

If so, I am sure you will be able to read the body language of those who attend!!
                    Either I'm not a very good body language reader or the Counsel for both teams are mean poker players but there were no tells or twitches ahead of Parker's ruling, and given how his ruling was you might have thought we could have seen something of what was about to happen.
                    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                    "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post

No. There's a chance the decision could be leaked before the court process is complete and that could be viewed as contempt.

I fully expect this to run for a few more years yet and as someone has already said, dont think much will result one way or the other. In other words, I dont think we'll have a decision until the appeal process is exhaustedunless there is an absolute knock out point which would make a further appeal irrelevant.
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X