• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming back Travel expenses and National Insurance past 12 months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming back Travel expenses and National Insurance past 12 months

I have been working for my client under an umbrella company for a year now and have never claimed back travel expenses.

Can I claim travel expenses for the past 12 months? These expenses are with my Oyster card so no receipts but I can request receipts online from them.

Who pays these expenses? If they invoice my client, do I risk my relationship with them and thus chance for extension?

What is company national insurance and how can I claim all/part of this back?

Thank you for your help

You are confused. Expenses and company national insurance (ERNIC) is paid out of your fee. If you're still working through the brolly, they may be able to help you.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by arghconfused View Post
      I have been working for my client under an umbrella company for a year now and have never claimed back travel expenses.
      Why not? The brolly I used put out a very comprehensive guide on what I can and can't claim and I chatted a guy there who was very helpful in getting me going. Why not speak to them.

It is staggering how little some people know about what happens to their money and how to get what is legally owed to them.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sounds like a good idea! You probably only be able to claim back to 06Apr2011 (the start of the new tax year) but ask your Umbrella - they may allow you to push through your receipts for the last tax year, now.

Note the expenses won't get billed to your client, they will just result in a recalculation of your PAYE and NI payroll deductions (decreasing both), so its a good idea to get them in.
        2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Working...
        X