Salary treated as Dividends
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Salary treated as Dividends

    Hi there,

    My accountant has treated my salary as dividends on my last personal tax return and she said that as long as both personal and company tax return match, there is no problem.
    I wrote "Salary" as reference on every bank transfer that I made.
    Now, my bank statements show a monthly withdrawal called "Salary" but there are....dividends

    What do you guys think?
    Are we allowed to do that?
    Doesn't seem to be right to me....

    Many thanks for your response

  2. #2
    ASB
    ASB is offline

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,423
    Thanks (Given)
    50
    Thanks (Received)
    88
    Likes (Given)
    558
    Likes (Received)
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SarahC View Post
    Hi there,

    My accountant has treated my salary as dividends on my last personal tax return and she said that as long as both personal and company tax return match, there is no problem.
    I wrote "Salary" as reference on every bank transfer that I made.
    Now, my bank statements show a monthly withdrawal called "Salary" but there are....dividends

    What do you guys think?
    Are we allowed to do that?
    Doesn't seem to be right to me....

    Many thanks for your response
    I could write 'claimable expenses' on every bank transfer. Doesn't mean it is.

    In order to be a salary payment you would have had to have done the paye etc. It doesn't look like you have done this (but you may).

    What it appears has happened is that you have simply been withdrawing random amounts of money from the company. Strictly in the absence of anything else these would be a loan. Your accountant appears to have decided you have paid a net dividend of that amount. There is no real problem with this but there are a couple of other points to consider:-

    a/ Ensure you have taxable income of at least your personal allowances. This amount of salary costs zero in tax, but reduce the profit by this amount (thus meaning it doesn't get charged to CT saving you the CT) Of course this income doesn't have to come from your company, you may have it from elsewhere; e.g. saving income, rental property, other earned income etc
    b/ Ensure the dividend you declare is at least equivalent to what you have drawn from the company less any actual net salary
    c/ If you have the profit declare dividend such that you use up your lower rate tax allowance. You don't have to pay this, you can leave it in the company and draw it in the future with no further tax to pay. A search on here should yield the amount fairly simply, it was last posted up a couple of days ago.
    d/ If possible try and avoid declaring dividends which take you into the 40% band since you will have to pay further personal tax on them.

    Remember tax is cumulative across all forms and sources of income, so keep this in mind in any planning.

  3. #3

    More time posting than coding

    Greg@CapitalCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    452
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Not great but...

    Not ideal for you, but as ASB says its not the end of the world, and these things happen. The most important thing is the substance of the transaction. If you paid it as dividends, meaning them to be dividends, and your business records correlate with this, then the description on your bank statement becomes less relevant.

  4. #4

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,373
    Thanks (Given)
    237
    Thanks (Received)
    224
    Likes (Given)
    353
    Likes (Received)
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASB View Post
    I could write 'claimable expenses' on every bank transfer. Doesn't mean it is.

    In order to be a salary payment you would have had to have done the paye etc. It doesn't look like you have done this (but you may).

    What it appears has happened is that you have simply been withdrawing random amounts of money from the company. Strictly in the absence of anything else these would be a loan. Your accountant appears to have decided you have paid a net dividend of that amount. There is no real problem with this but there are a couple of other points to consider:-

    a/ Ensure you have taxable income of at least your personal allowances. This amount of salary costs zero in tax, but reduce the profit by this amount (thus meaning it doesn't get charged to CT saving you the CT) Of course this income doesn't have to come from your company, you may have it from elsewhere; e.g. saving income, rental property, other earned income etc
    b/ Ensure the dividend you declare is at least equivalent to what you have drawn from the company less any actual net salary
    c/ If you have the profit declare dividend such that you use up your lower rate tax allowance. You don't have to pay this, you can leave it in the company and draw it in the future with no further tax to pay. A search on here should yield the amount fairly simply, it was last posted up a couple of days ago.
    d/ If possible try and avoid declaring dividends which take you into the 40% band since you will have to pay further personal tax on them.

    Remember tax is cumulative across all forms and sources of income, so keep this in mind in any planning.
    e/ Ensure that you are working outside of IR35 as otherwise you are not entitled to draw dividends and your tax position will be significantly affected
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

  5. #5
    ASB
    ASB is offline

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,423
    Thanks (Given)
    50
    Thanks (Received)
    88
    Likes (Given)
    558
    Likes (Received)
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    e/ Ensure that you are working outside of IR35 as otherwise you are not entitled to draw dividends and your tax position will be significantly affected
    Oops, forgot to mention that.

    Strictly of course there is nothing whatsoever to stop you paying a small salary and high dividends in an IR35 caught scenario - though it would not be in any way sensible due to the taxation/ni consequence of the deemed payment.

  6. #6

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Well, we haven't done the PAYE or anything...so it should be fine.
    I feel much better now
    Many thanks for your help guys!

  7. #7
    ASB
    ASB is offline

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,423
    Thanks (Given)
    50
    Thanks (Received)
    88
    Likes (Given)
    558
    Likes (Received)
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SarahC View Post
    Well, we haven't done the PAYE or anything...so it should be fine.
    I feel much better now
    Many thanks for your help guys!
    To protect yourself in any later enquiry that might happen ensure the dividends are properly minuted and the dividend vouchers are done. These might help:-

    <snip>

    Deliberately not clickable

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.