• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Flat rate and Petrol expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT Flat rate and Petrol expenses

I am just about to start out in contracting and I will get an accountant but not until I have money coming in. Until then I am trying to work something out.

It relates to the VAT flat rate scheme and business mileage.

The only real expense the company will have is business mileage and I don't know how this is claimed back against VAT? or is it?

If its not then the flat rate scheme seems to be the best option for my business.

Thanks for any help

Jeremy

You can claim back the VAT if not on FRS. I always used to do 2p per mile, but you need to keep receipts to back it up (i.e. you need to have receipts for at least the amount you claim for, and back when I did it I'd always fall slightly short of 2p per mile). You can actually claim a proportion of costs of repairs etc. too if you want to get into it.

Most of us just use the FRS, where you don't claim back the VAT on small things and also don't have to keep wodges of receipts.

You need to work out if the amount you gain by being on the FRS outweighs the amount you lose by not being able to claim back VAT on petrol and other costs (accountancy fees for one).
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Yes you can, but probably no benefit

You can claim back VAT on fuel (when claiming mileage) if your business is registered for VAT on the standard scheme. The calculation and record keeping are a little onerous - FRS is probably the way to go anyway.

(1) Determine the latest fuel advisory rate (HM Revenue & Customs: Company cars - advisory fuel rates from 1 June 2011)
      (2) Multiply this by the number of miles travelled - and then divide by 6 to get the VAT amount you can claim;
      (3) Make sure you have enough petrol receipts to show you actually purchased the fuel in the first place;

Good luck!
      2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

FRS then claim your mileage at 45p for first 10k then 25p for the rest.
        Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
          FRS then claim your mileage at 45p for first 10k then 25p for the rest.
          WHS
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

thanks sounds like the best bet.

Comment

There is a recent thread in the Welcome / FAQs section on this, which may also be of use.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                There is a recent thread in the Welcome / FAQs section on this, which may also be of use.
                thanks

Comment

Originally posted by GregCapitalCity View Post
                  You can claim back VAT on fuel (when claiming mileage) if your business is registered for VAT on the standard scheme. The calculation and record keeping are a little onerous - FRS is probably the way to go anyway.

(1) Determine the latest fuel advisory rate (HM Revenue & Customs: Company cars - advisory fuel rates from 1 June 2011)
                  (2) Multiply this by the number of miles travelled - and then divide by 6 to get the VAT amount you can claim;
                  (3) Make sure you have enough petrol receipts to show you actually purchased the fuel in the first place;

Good luck!
                  divide by 5 shirley?

Comment

Six

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    divide by 5 shirley?
                    The current VAT fraction is 1/6.

Take a VAT inclusive price (say £120), divide by 6 (= £20), and you get the VAT component of £120.
                    2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                    2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                    || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Working...
                    X