• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

umbrella company refer a friend - offer changed after I referred

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

umbrella company refer a friend - offer changed after I referred

Hi.

I have referred a friend to my unbrella company. At the time I referred him the reward was £100 of vouchers. Now he is set up with them I have asked for my vouchers and been told that the reward has changed to 10 quicker payments (something I am not interested in). They now say on threir website that the reward is 10 faster payments but this changed much more recently than when I made the referral. I think I am entitled to the vouchers as this is what was advertised when I made the referral. I have been in touch with the company in question and they are refusing to give me anything apart from the faster payments.

Does anyone know what is the appropriate organisation to make a complaint to about this?

Many thanks in advance.

C

Originally posted by chrisk View Post
    Hi.

I have referred a friend to my unbrella company. At the time I referred him the reward was £100 of vouchers. Now he is set up with them I have asked for my vouchers and been told that the reward has changed to 10 quicker payments (something I am not interested in). They now say on threir website that the reward is 10 faster payments but this changed much more recently than when I made the referral. I think I am entitled to the vouchers as this is what was advertised when I made the referral. I have been in touch with the company in question and they are refusing to give me anything apart from the faster payments.

Does anyone know what is the appropriate organisation to make a complaint to about this?

Many thanks in advance.

C
    I think you can complain to OFCOM if you believe and are able to convince them that the Umbrella went out of their way to deceive you. I think you may struggle to be honest, as their website has been updated with a new offer. It is not unreasonable for a company to take a few days to update their website, so unless you have verbally agreed (or agreed in writing with the Umbrella) that they will give you £100 in vouchers, you won't have much hope. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Thanks for the response - I dont think its ofcom though. They seem to be exclusively for the communications industry. I have a couple of other possibilities - Ill post here if i get anywhere.

Comment

The Advertising Standards Authority can now deal with online marketing so they may be your best bet but I think you would probably need proof that they had deliberately tried to mislead you.
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          The Advertising Standards Authority.
          Yep.. that's who I was really thinking of. Don't know why OFCOM came to mind to be honest. Obviously the ASA weren't doing a great marketting job.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

What sort of cowboy firm would quibble about a relatively small amount like £100? If I was you and your friend, I'd threaten to leave and sign up with somebody more honest. Word of mouth is an extremely cheap, efficient means of advertising compared to most other forms, and if they can't keep to their word they don't deserve to keep your business.

Comment

Originally posted by Vallah View Post
              What sort of cowboy firm would quibble about a relatively small amount like £100? If I was you and your friend, I'd threaten to leave and sign up with somebody more honest. Word of mouth is an extremely cheap, efficient means of advertising compared to most other forms, and if they can't keep to their word they don't deserve to keep your business.
              That's a bit harsh. Just remember, we only have one side of the story here. We don't know the full reason as to why the Umbrella won't give the £100 in vouches. Let's see how the complaint goes with the ASA, if the OP wins, great. If the OP really feels agrieved, then yes, I agree, walk away from the Umbrella and go elsewhere. To call the Umbrella cowboys, is a bit harsh without hearing their side of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                Yep.. that's who I was really thinking of. Don't know why OFCOM came to mind to be honest. Obviously the ASA weren't doing a great marketting job.
                LOL
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Make a small claim through the courts.

Comment

Threaten to name them on this board......

Comment

Working...
                    X