• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividend Splitting - And subsequent benefit to me. Legal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole issue on married (or civil partnership) v not, is not one of legality in income splitting, but lack of protection.

S626 ITTOIA (successor provisions to S660) only exempts spouses or civil partners from settlements legilslation.

This doesn't stop unmarried splitting income, nor make it illegal, just you'll have to argue on first principles there is no settlement for it to be tax effective. Depends on how risk adverse tax payer is, but I would suggest income splitting between cohabitees is not uncommon, and dare I say it tolerated at present. As we know from the furore around Arctic systems, it can't be assumed thus will last.

Comment

Working...
    X