• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividend Splitting - And subsequent benefit to me. Legal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
    What about making one of the children a shareholder (who is above legal age)?
    Exactly the same as a non-spouse, which would be the same for anyone else.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
      No, you have to be married, I spent a lot of time recently looking at this. What you do afterwards with the money isn't relevant
      JoJo is right. You have to be married for this to work. A bit of basic research could have gotten you that answer.

I don't however agree with JoJo's comment about it not being relevant afterwards. Where the comment is probably correct and will stand up to scrutiny I can't help feeling you have to be a little more clever about the situation and just don't make it look like the money is being blatantly directed in to your pocket. Am sure it wouldn't be hard to make it look like she is paying her fair share rather than it end up as your benefit. Maybe I am being anal but that is how I would do it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
        Exactly the same as a non-spouse, which would be the same for anyone else.
        I don't understand how giving divs to your married shareholder is OK while giving it to another relative is not.

Comment

I don't understand how giving divs to your married shareholder is OK while giving it to another relative is not.
          Because it's a common tax law premise that transfers between married couples are exempt. It's no different to Inheritance Tax whereby you can leave your estate to your wife and she pays no tax, but leave it to anyone else and they might.

The whole point is to stop people transferring money to someone else with the sole purpose of using up that other persons tax band and therefore paying less tax. Anything you do that has "to avoid tax" as a main motivation generally has some type of anti-avoidance measure in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
            The whole point is to stop people transferring money to someone else with the sole purpose of using up that other persons tax band and therefore paying less tax. Anything you do that has "to avoid tax" as a main motivation generally has some type of anti-avoidance measure in place.
            Errr but aren't they doing exactly that when they are transferring to the other half (not sure why other half here always happens to be a wife, not a husband)

Not arguing I understand its the law, but still the law is saying one can avoid tax in one case, but shouldn't avoid it in another.

Comment

Errr but aren't they doing exactly that when they are transferring to the other half (not sure why other half here always happens to be a wife, not a husband)

Not arguing I understand its the law, but still the law is saying one can avoid tax in one case, but shouldn't avoid it in another.
              The rule is not about avoiding tax though, it's the basic principle that transfers between spouses are exempt. The result of that rule is that a married person can do something that a single person cannot, but the rule isn't specifically there to allow them to do that.

I agree it's not fair, but that could be said for any rule that makes me personally worse off than someone else. But then there's bound to be other rules that work the other way. I don't have to wash anyone else's socks for example

Comment

There is also the argument that a wife supports business owners with long days and many intangible elements so wouldn't be unreasonable they do support the company so can allow that but they have to draw the line somewhere. Once you start mentioning spouse, family and friends it just becomes so open to abuse it isn't worth considering. Many rules such of these can be very unfair to genuine people who, like myself for example, are not married by choice so cannot use them but relaxing the laws would then allow every man and his dog to use their retired parents who pay little or no tax. How do you allow my case but stop the retired parents situation? You just can't.

Probably not a point of law or something drives policy making but a difficult one to argue against.

Comment

And of course, a lot of this income splitting stuff comes from the Arctic case where they were married thus setting a precedent if my understanding is correct. If you're not married, like in the Arctic case, then it leaves the way open for HMRC to come steaming in because its a different situation.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Well in my case I have decided to leave my cohabiting g/f out of the ltd co. Although she is down on the mortgage as a common law spouse.........

I think this is the less risky option.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmokramer View Post
                      Well in my case I have decided to leave my cohabiting g/f out of the ltd co. Although she is down on the mortgage as a common law spouse.........

I think this is the less risky option.
                      Well one is allowable and the other isn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X