• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employer's NI?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employer's NI?

Hi all,

I am new to contracting and have been thinking about joining Parasol. I used their calculator and shows a return of roughly 60%. But the calculation doesn't include the employer's NI, do I need to pay for the employer's NI and is there any other hidden costs that others have experienced with Parasol?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Kevin

I just did some calculations in their calculator. It clearly states ( if you click the right buttons for a detailed overview) that Employer's NI is deducted.

Steve from Parasol often posts on here. So I doubt you will have any problems.

Also Lisa from Contractor Umbrella posts on here as well. So I doubt you will have problems with them either.

BTW I'm ltd so I don't know if they are any good personally.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by kevinlam View Post
      Hi all,

I am new to contracting and have been thinking about joining Parasol. I used their calculator and shows a return of roughly 60%. But the calculation doesn't include the employer's NI, do I need to pay for the employer's NI and is there any other hidden costs that others have experienced with Parasol?

Thanks.

Regards,
      Kevin
      Hi Kevin,

Your umbrella company becomes your employer and all registered employers are required by law to pay Employer's National Insurance which is 12.8% (over and above a weekly/monthly threshold). The salary that your umbrella company pays you will be calculated based on the contract rate, the contract being between the agency/client and your umbrella company, less an amount for employer's NI less the umbrella company's margin or fee.

HTH
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by kevinlam View Post
        Hi all,

Thanks.

Regards,
        Kevin
        Hi there

Just to follow on from Lisa's comment, Parasol don’t take any profit from the rate you are paid by your agency to cover the cost of Employer’s NI, we only take our flat fee, either weekly or monthly, regardless of what you get paid.

Everything you earn is passed on to you directly.

When you work on a permanent contract, the Employer’s NI deduction is already factored when calculating your rate. This is why rates are normally higher when you are a contractor.

You shouldn't have any hidden costs or charges whatsoever working via Parasol. If you have any problems or queires, I am the PR manager so feel free to drop me a line on [email protected] or PM me here.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven@Parasol View Post
          Hi there

Just to follow on from Lisa's comment, Parasol don’t take any profit from the rate you are paid by your agency to cover the cost of Employer’s NI, we only take our flat fee, either weekly or monthly, regardless of what you get paid.

When you work on a permanent contract, the Employer’s NI deduction is already factored when calculating your rate. This is why rates are normally higher when you are a contractor.

You shouldn't have any hidden costs or charges whatsoever working via Parasol. If you have any problems or queires, I am the PR manager so feel free to drop me a line on [email protected] or PM me here.
          So, just to clarify Steve, what you are saying is that if the contract rate is £500 per day i.e. £2500 per week then you will pay Employer's NI on £2500 less your fee?

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
            So, just to clarify Steve, what you are saying is that if the contract rate is £500 per day i.e. £2500 per week then you will pay Employer's NI on £2500 less your fee?
            Sorry Lisa, I wasn't clear!

yes you are correct.

Comment

Sorry Lisa, I wasn't clear!

yes you are correct.
              Sorry Steve but can you just clarify the 'Contract Rate'

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Thanks for the help. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  Sorry Steve but can you just clarify the 'Contract Rate'
                  Fight fight fight!!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi Steve,

Just a quick question regarding the IR35. Do I need to worry about this if I use Parasol as my umbrella company? IR35 looks irrelevant to me if I pay the tax and ni fully (as stated in the Parasol calculator).

Regards,
                    Kevin

Hi there

Comment

Working...
                    X