• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employer's NI?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kevinlam View Post
    Hi Steve,

Just a quick question regarding the IR35. Do I need to worry about this if I use Parasol as my umbrella company? IR35 looks irrelevant to me if I pay the tax and ni fully (as stated in the Parasol calculator).

Regards,
    Kevin
    It's irrelevant if you work under an umbrella company. So you can stop worrying.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hi Steve,

Just a quick question regarding the IR35. Do I need to worry about this if I use Parasol as my umbrella company? IR35 looks irrelevant to me if I pay the tax and ni fully (as stated in the Parasol calculator).

Regards,
      Kevin
      Hi Kevin

IR35 determines the way that you are paid - if you have your own limited company and are outside IR35 you are entitled to draw dividends from that company. If, however, you are inside IR35, whether you have your own company or not your earnings must be taxed via PAYE. Therefore, as an umbrella company will always pay you via PAYE IR35 becomes irrelevant.

HTH
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Steven@Parasol View Post
        Sorry Lisa, I wasn't clear!

yes you are correct.
        Surely what you mean is you will pass on the ERNI, deducting it from the contract rate, not pay it out of your fee?

Comment

Hi Steve,

Regards,
          Kevin
          Morning Kevin

Just as everyone above has posted. IR35 does not apply if you are working via an umbrella company.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Surely what you mean is you will pass on the ERNI, deducting it from the contract rate, not pay it out of your fee?
            There is no way their fee would cover the employer's NI.

What you get is contract income minus VAT (20%) minus Employer's NI (about 12.8%) minus Employee's NI (about 11%) minus PAYE (from 20% to 50%) = your money. Doesn't leave much when you look at it that way, does it!
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
            X