+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 5 of 5

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default self assessment - total turnover include VAT or not?

Hi there - filling my online tax return i am not sure if the total turnover should include VAT or not - if it does - where do i put the money i paid out to the VAT man? (i'm on flat rate scheme if it makes a difference)

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Assuming that you are self employed, your turnover should be net of VAT on the self employment pages.

If you are referring to the corporation tax return, it is again the same (turnover net of VAT). The net turnover will be gross sales less flat rate VAT amount.

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
    Assuming that you are self employed, your turnover should be net of VAT on the self employment pages.

If you are referring to the corporation tax return, it is again the same (turnover net of VAT). The net turnover will be gross sales less flat rate VAT amount.
    hi there and thanks for the reply. this is what i though but when i called the help line to check the guy told me it should include the vat and the paid out vat goes into box 29 (other business expenses) - sounds like he was incompetent but need to be double sure...

katyperryfan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mmoalem View Post
    Hi there - filling my online tax return i am not sure if the total turnover should include VAT or not - if it does - where do i put the money i paid out to the VAT man? (i'm on flat rate scheme if it makes a difference)
    If you're attempting to do your Self Assessment form and have not been paying tax/NI etc over the year I suggest you have a sit down with a professional accountant to make sure you're getting the most of it the situation.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mmoalem View Post
    hi there and thanks for the reply. this is what i though but when i called the help line to check the guy told me it should include the vat and the paid out vat goes into box 29 (other business expenses) - sounds like he was incompetent but need to be double sure...
    That is also correct (box 29 bit). You can either enter in the turnover net of VAT or the gross turnover and then VAT payment in box 29 or repayment in box 15.

+ Reply to Thread