+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 45
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Getting out of Recruitment Consultant Contract

    I'm currently contracting through the recruitment contsultant who found my current contract for me. I've signed a 'service agreement' and my client pays the recruitment consultant and they pay me, skimming off a nice big fat slice of my dayrate for themselves.

    How do I get rid of these parasites? I didn't study for 4 years and get a First Class Computer Science degree so some 'university drop-out' recruitment consultant skims off a nice big fat slice of my pay.

    I realise they need to be paid for matching up me with my current contract. But my current contract is going to be long-term and I don't see why they should be able to get paid indefinitely. In addition they take 14 days to pay out which is a pain since the direct contractors here get paid in 24-48 hours.

  2. #2

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    17,808
    Thanks (Given)
    460
    Thanks (Received)
    948
    Likes (Given)
    4017
    Likes (Received)
    2631

  3. #3

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    32,750
    Thanks (Given)
    132
    Thanks (Received)
    1282
    Likes (Given)
    1679
    Likes (Received)
    5685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reach4thelasers View Post
    I'm currently contracting through the recruitment contsultant who found my current contract for me. I've signed a 'service agreement' and my client pays the recruitment consultant and they pay me, skimming off a nice big fat slice of my dayrate for themselves.

    How do I get rid of these parasites? I didn't study for 4 years and get a First Class Computer Science degree so some 'university drop-out' recruitment consultant skims off a nice big fat slice of my pay.

    I realise they need to be paid for matching up me with my current contract. But my current contract is going to be long-term and I don't see why they should be able to get paid indefinitely. In addition they take 14 days to pay out which is a pain since the direct contractors here get paid in 24-48 hours.
    Man you have a chip on your shoulder don't you. Maybe a modicum of understanding of the situation you are in may dampen your anger and let you lead a much happier and fulfilling life.

    First to point out is that he is not getting a slice of your money. YOU are getting what was agreed of HIS. Parasites is a bit of strong term, they do (not very well at times) provide a valuable service to clients and it has to be said to us contractors. 14 days isn't bad as it goes. There are another step of process to go through compared to the direct guys and even that is quick compared to direct guys I know.

    That FAT slice you talk about is negotiable and from what I read on here can be down to 12% if negotiated well which is hardly fat. If it took you a few weeks longer to get a direct job getting one early with an agent at 12% would be better for you.

    Maybe... (putting my devils advocate/agent hat on) the problem here is that the other guys were savvy enough to get a contract direct and you weren't?

    I rarely defend the agents but have no choice to to try and put a reality spin on your situation.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 2nd September 2010 at 11:56.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    32,750
    Thanks (Given)
    132
    Thanks (Received)
    1282
    Likes (Given)
    1679
    Likes (Received)
    5685

    Default

    p.s. how long since you got your degree?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  5. #5

    Fingers like lightning

    Svalbaard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    584
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Have to agree with Northern on this one. You accepted the role at a stated rate didn't you? If you did then I don't see where your problem is - apart from your own greed. Incidentally what is the % that your agency is taking - if it is any more than 15% then you may have a case unless you were headhunted by a specialist agency for that role where the margin can be much higher.

    Your agent is paid a card rate by the company out of which they pay you the majority %, so ask yourself the question, would you work for free? and would you have got the contract without the help of said recruitment agency in the first place?

    If you do break the terms of the contract then I hope you get screwed by the agency in reparation as that sort of behaviour drags down the perception of contractors as a whole.
    Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

    Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

  6. #6

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    210
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    First to point out is that he is not getting a slice of your money. YOU are getting what was agreed of HIS.
    I have never understood how this lie has been able to go on in here. There are no clients anywhere that pays a recruitment agent to actually get the job done. The client pays the agent to find someone to get the job done. The agent himself would hardly be able to get the job done (maybe rare cases he can). Without a contractor he gets zero, nil, nada, jack ****.

    What the agent is given is a budget or rate to work with. If he can't find someone for the role he get nothing.

  7. #7

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    26,289
    Thanks (Given)
    1133
    Thanks (Received)
    934
    Likes (Given)
    4254
    Likes (Received)
    3768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
    I have never understood how this lie has been able to go on in here. There are no clients anywhere that pays a recruitment agent to actually get the job done. The client pays the agent to find someone to get the job done. The agent himself would hardly be able to get the job done (maybe rare cases he can). Without a contractor he gets zero, nil, nada, jack ****.
    Yes but without the agent it's extremely likely you would never hear of the end client and get anything at all.

    Lots of companies can't be bothered to advertise roles themselves or simply don't want to for various reasons.

    Also unless you are willing to make loads of sales calls to companies, are good at getting leads and networking to secure roles then you have to use an agency.

    Oh and OP lots of agents now have degrees including first class ones. Also there are agents out there who use to work as contractors but worked out if they used particular clients they could make more money by being an agent.

  8. #8

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    32,750
    Thanks (Given)
    132
    Thanks (Received)
    1282
    Likes (Given)
    1679
    Likes (Received)
    5685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
    I have never understood how this lie has been able to go on in here. There are no clients anywhere that pays a recruitment agent to actually get the job done. The client pays the agent to find someone to get the job done. The agent himself would hardly be able to get the job done (maybe rare cases he can). Without a contractor he gets zero, nil, nada, jack ****.

    What the agent is given is a budget or rate to work with. If he can't find someone for the role he get nothing.
    What on earth are you on about? Everyone knows that but the fact we are talking about a contractor gets a slice of the agents money kind of assumes we have a contractor on board and the client is paying. Who mentioned paying an agent when there is no contractor?

    Your argument does not fit the context of the line you quoted.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  9. #9

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    210
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Yes but without the agent it's extremely likely you would never hear of the end client and get anything at all.

    Lots of companies can't be bothered to advertise roles themselves or simply don't want to for various reasons.

    Also unless you are willing to make loads of sales calls to companies, are good at getting leads and networking to secure roles then you have to use an agency.

    Oh and OP lots of agents now have degrees including first class ones. Also there are agents out there who use to work as contractors but worked out if they used particular clients they could make more money by being an agent.
    I totally agree, the agents do a job and are needed (not all the time though). But they will get nothing without someone doing the job for them.

  10. #10

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    210
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    What on earth are you on about? Everyone knows that but the fact we are talking about a contractor gets a slice of the agents money kind of assumes we have a contractor on board and the client is paying. Who mentioned paying an agent when there is no contractor?

    Your argument does not fit the context of the line you quoted.
    Whatever, I just find it funny that you guys always come down on the agents side in these discussions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.