• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professional indemnity insurance mandatory?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kellycell View Post
    Here it is, thank you very much:

"The Consultancy shall indemnify the Client against all loss and liability suffered or incurred as a result of the Consultant’s acts or omissions. The total liability under this clause shall not exceed the total sums payable for the Services."
    The client can't claim more from you than the sum they paid you. Which is actually good because in theory if you mucked up a live system and didn't have that clause they could claim much more.

The client(s) should be mentioned in the contract.

BTW are you sure the other European agency is a just an agency and not also a consultancy? Some companies work as both agencies (as we understand them in the UK) and consultancies, which is why they state they are the client.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

For the newbies here do you mind explaining what PI, PL are?
      I think all the newbies have taken a few minutes to read the First Timers Guide which contains lots of useful information that will answer their questions.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        I think all the newbies have taken a few minutes to read the First Timers Guide which contains lots of useful information that will answer their questions.
        Thank you so it is :

Professional Indemnity
        Professional Liability? (i could not find this one in the link you sent me)

Comment

Thank you so it is :
          Public Liability

Comment

Thank you so it is :

Professional Indemnity
            Check the QDOS website, they explain it there and they also sell it. £250 a pop I believe.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thank you so it is :

Professional Indemnity
              Sorry, the answer to the second one isn't there indeed. As Hex says, it's "Public Liability", there is a good explanation of it here.

The one to watch for is Employer's Liability, since your company probably won't have any employees (other than your self and perhaps spouse) so you aren't likely to sue your own LTD co.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it if I could get away with not having it. If they sue my company then I'll just cease trading and start a new one.

Some agencies have told me that MyCo must have it but never ask to see proof so I didn't bother. Now they ask to see proof so I took out a policy.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I've found an explanation of what PI insurance is here: ww w.constructaquote.com/liability-insurance/public.aspx

Comment

For the newbies here do you mind explaining what PI, PL are?
                  Apologies.

Public Liabilty is normally where members of the public come onto your premises and slip so they sue you or you're working on client site and drop a pc out of the window(!) and hit a passing member of the public on the head. Client employees are not 'members of the public' although I guess one could try and sue you via this and Professional Indemnity.

PI is where you're negligence or sloppy work ends up creating havoc for the client causing them to lose moeny or not perform the duties they supply their end clients so they want to sue you.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                  X