• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT-only invoice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Hmmm, tough justice. Back when I started up there was about a 2 month delay is getting VAT numbers. I invoiced as "VAT pending, VAT only invoice to follow" and never had a hitch when I invoiced the VAT a couple of months later.
    Precisely.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      That's why the rules say you should note on all relevant invoices that VAT registration is pending.
      Really? Would you care to quote a HMRC source for that, as I'm yet to find any official guidelines that state anything about "VAT registration pending" notices. Which "rules" are these and where are they in the VAT guide or relevant legislation (I can't find it).

In fact, it would seem that HMRC's official guidance is to adjust your rate so the original invoice shows the same total as the final VAT-inclusive amount, even though there is no separate VAT item. The invoice should then be re-issued as a VAT invoice once a VAT number has been received..

This would still mean the recipient of the invoice having to adjust their accounts (even though they don't have to pay any more money) as the VAT portion cannot be accounted as such until they have the VAT invoice.

I still maintain the OP should contact their local VAT office to see what they have to say about it.

From a purely ethical point of view, if the OP told his client at the time that he would be later issuing a VAT invoice, and they accepted this, then I'd say the client is just messing him around and I wouldn't consider taking any further work from them.

Comment

Now that's interesting. HMRC's website says the following:
        Until you receive your VAT registration number you must not charge VAT, or show VAT as a separate item on your invoices. To make sure that you do not lose income in the period after you applied for VAT registration but before you receive your VAT registration number, you should increase your prices by the VAT rate relevant for your goods or services, and explain to your customers why you are doing so.
        Once you are registered, you can then reissue those invoices, amended to show your VAT registration number and the VAT charged. This will ensure that your VAT-registered customers can reclaim the VAT that they have paid.
        Which is not something I've ever seen quoted anywhere before...

Any accountants care to comment?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by lukeredpath View Post
          Really? Would you care to quote a HMRC source for that, as I'm yet to find any official guidelines that state anything about "VAT registration pending" notices. Which "rules" are these and where are they in the VAT guide or relevant legislation (I can't find it).

In fact, it would seem that HMRC's official guidance is to adjust your rate so the original invoice shows the same total as the final VAT-inclusive amount, even though there is no separate VAT item. The invoice should then be re-issued as a VAT invoice once a VAT number has been received..

This would still mean the recipient of the invoice having to adjust their accounts (even though they don't have to pay any more money) as the VAT portion cannot be accounted as such until they have the VAT invoice.
          I read this too, so I tried it on the agency while I waited for my VAT registration. They were quite firm in their response to that.

OK, so I eventually got the VAT from the agency. What would have happened if it had gone bust in the meantime? Would HMRC have made me pay it anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            I read this too, so I tried it on the agency while I waited for my VAT registration. They were quite firm in their response to that.
            I assume their response wasn't a good one; did you point out that it was official HMRC guidance; I don't get why anybody who is VAT registered would kick up a fuss about this.

You'll either get your VAT registration which means the extra money can be accounted for as input VAT once they have the VAT invoice, or in the unlikely case that it doesn't, you could probably refund them the difference.

OK, so I eventually got the VAT from the agency. What would have happened if it had gone bust in the meantime? Would HMRC have made me pay it anyway?
            Unless there any special rules that I'm not aware of, the VAT still needs to be paid to HMRC.

Comment

I assume their response wasn't a good one; did you point out that it was official HMRC guidance; I don't get why anybody who is VAT registered would kick up a fuss about this.

You'll either get your VAT registration which means the extra money can be accounted for as input VAT once they have the VAT invoice, or in the unlikely case that it doesn't, you could probably refund them the difference.
              Yes, they flatly refused, with a tone of incredulity at my suggesting it.

My statement that "that is what HMRC say on their website that I should do" was met with their statement that "that is not what we do".

They clearly preferred the method where they paid me later when I was registered, to the method where I repaid them later if it didn't come through. Can't say I blame them.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                They clearly preferred the method where they paid me later when I was registered, to the method where I repaid them later if it didn't come through. Can't say I blame them.
                Well that's fine, as long as they have no problem paying the VAT when you can issue them with a VAT invoice (or a separate invoice for the back-dated VAT).

Comment

Well that's fine, as long as they have no problem paying the VAT when you can issue them with a VAT invoice (or a separate invoice for the back-dated VAT).
                  They didn't, but as I said what would have happened if the agency had gone bust in the meantime? If I would have remained liable for VAT even though I could not collect it and couldn't possibly have collected it at any given moment, then my job in the chain would not even be "unpaid tax collector", it would be "mug".

Comment

VAT Only Invoice

Hi floehopper

I think i would take a step back from this and look at your contractual terms.

If you have a price + VAT then I dont think there is an issue. Bill with VAT, either with a VAT Only Invoice or with replacement invoices with VAT on them, both are valid documentation for HMRC, which ever the client is comfortable with.

If they refuse to pay then you would have to take the normal action that you would take when a client refuses to pay the invoice.

In the meantime for cash flow purposes , you may wish to switch to cash accounting, otherwise you may have to pay the vat on the invoices whilst getting agreement from the client.

I hope that helps.

Phil
                    Last edited by PhilAtBFCA; 15 July 2009, 12:16. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                    X