• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working while claiming JSA?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working while claiming JSA?

Just wondering what happens if while claiming JSA you happen to do a few days work during that period, anyone any experience of it?

Is it best just to say nothing while signing, or be upfront and tell them? And if you do tell them do you lose x days JSA, or is it a typical civil service performance of having to fill out forms which then have to go off for a decision etc etc...

Originally posted by Benno View Post
    Just wondering what happens if while claiming JSA you happen to do a few days work during that period, anyone any experience of it?

Is it best just to say nothing while signing, or be upfront and tell them? And if you do tell them do you lose x days JSA, or is it a typical civil service performance of having to fill out forms which then have to go off for a decision etc etc...
    By not declaring any income you receive whilst on JSA is in effect fraud. If I were you, I would declare it as soon as you are aware that you are taking on new work, even if it is cash in hand.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

If it's a regular thing then 'fess up.

If it is a real one off then, although you shouldn't, keep your gob shut. Don't make them think, they only get it wrong and you'll have more grief that you can live with.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Yeah if it comes up, it's a one off. 4 days Fri-Mon. Not wanting to commit fraud but I really can imagine my honesty would cause all sorts of probs, and was just wondering if anyone had 'fessed up and wished they hadnt or if it's an easy process which they come across all the time.

Comment

1) Are you a operating as a director ? 2) Within a limited company structure ?

Comment

No, I use a brolly so I can sign on when needs be, like now!

As it happens got 13wk review tomorrow, I anticipate fun with a public sector drone who wont be able to understand why I don't apply for jobs from papers or want a permy job.

Comment

Best of luck. What field are you in ?

Comment

Cheers...

Rollout or desktop support. What work there is has seen drops in rates or wanting SC for some reason (do they think they get a better calibre I wonder??) but I've a possibility of 4 days work over next weekend.

That'll also cause them to blow a gasket if I mention weekend work!!

Comment

Wish I could help.

As for the SC thing - I suppose the only difference would be someone ready
                  to go straight away as oppose to a few weeks to get clearance.

Comment

They have forms that allow you to declare any income, seem to recall you get given them.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X