• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

. . Germany - the taxman cometh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They should leave us alone, and sort out their own problems.

I'll be off to the local ski resort at the weekend.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Has been rather quiet on this front lately. Perhaps nobody is receiving any further info or keeping it off these forums.

Have received my bill today although with Mr H. Just going it through it with a dictionary (and leo-dict) to translate it all. I thought thats why we pay these guys? To do all the paperwork for us?

Question is then, if you cannot fully understand the forms that you are required to sign and return how do you know that what ayou are signing is correct. I must assume that the liability would still be with you and not the acc?

Comment

Originally posted by Slumdog View Post
        Has been rather quiet on this front lately. Perhaps nobody is receiving any further info or keeping it off these forums.

Have received my bill today although with Mr H. Just going it through it with a dictionary (and leo-dict) to translate it all. I thought thats why we pay these guys? To do all the paperwork for us?

Question is then, if you cannot fully understand the forms that you are required to sign and return how do you know that what ayou are signing is correct. I must assume that the liability would still be with you and not the acc?
        correct, you're never absolved of responsibility. I would advise seeing a German lawyer about this. There is too much at stake. Good luck.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Slumdog View Post
          I am today finalising Excel sheets.

Question: what is the % damage of the undeclared gross you are expected to pay? I have calculated the undeclared gross and worried I may be liable for 50% of that.

What about the VAT ?

Is the fee paid to the management company claimable as an expense or what ?Is it totally lost ?

How much did H charge ?

Does H as a company actually have any accountants ?? My understanding is that there was one accountant plus 2 or 3 office ladies churning spreadsheets. If the accountant is otherwise occupied who is doing my taxes ?

Surprised it is in German without translation. I could get that directly from the Finanzamt.

PM if you prefer.

Comment

Busted

I got a personal visit from the tax authorities last week. I can assure you it was not a pleasant experience.

I can now confirm that they have very detailed information about all Mr H's clients and MC A. Based on the information I got directly from them, I am quite sure all his clients will have to come clean for all the tax years filed using his services, either voluntarily or through lawsuit.

Comment

Whoops!

So you had a visit?
              One of your previous threads (19.12) suggested that you would get a letter before any visit, did you get a letter or are you into something else than just unpaid taxes?
              see below:
              "He also revealed that should the tax office start to investigate one single person, the typical case would start by them simply sending a letter stating that "the tax office is aware that you have undeclared income for the years XX. Please declare your total income and pay the outstanding taxes". At this point there is no criminal investigation, but in this case one must declare the income and pay it relatively soon. If not, then the case might go further. The tax accountant told that typically a client comes to him with this letter and then corrections are filed. For the investigation to start with raids or custody, there must be also something else than just unpaid taxes being investigated or the sums must be really huge."

Comment

It was unusual. The visit was from the local tax office. I live in a state and town, where there are very few contractors and in general a small population. I doubt the local authorities will normally do the same in the larger cities. Most of us are really not that big fish for them.

It also turned out that they are really carrying out a larger investigation on the activities of Mr H, and maybe in this case all his clients and former clients can expect to be visited personally.

Comment

friendly chat

Sounds serios then.
                  Was it tea and buscuits or miami vice stuff!
                  What were they after, what did they take? Are you allowed to leave the country?

Comment

It was not tea and biscuits, not exactly Miami Vice either. It was not an easy situation, but it could have been worse.

They took some of my documents and asked some questions.

I do not know, whether I can leave the country, I forgot to ask. They did not mention the matter.

Maybe it is not wise to discuss the matter in detail in a public forum. You can PM me, should you have more questions.

Comment

Haha.

Boomed!!

It's totally your own fault - trying to evade taxes.. Tough luck mate..

NOT!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X