• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spread Betting Online within Ltd Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spread Betting Online within Ltd Company

This might sound like a stupid question but I'm looking to start Spread Betting using Ltd Company funds.

Is this possible? All the spread betting site application forms I've looked at online ask for individual names and there doesnt seem to be a provision for company names anywhere.

Advice appreciated.

Lindsay

Originally posted by lindsay~ View Post
    This might sound like a stupid question but I'm looking to start Spread Betting using Ltd Company funds.

Is this possible? All the spread betting site application forms I've looked at online ask for individual names and there doesnt seem to be a provision for company names anywhere.

Advice appreciated.

Lindsay
    If you use your name and company money to fund it and record all your gains and losses in the accounts it should be fine.

QB.

Comment

Advice appreciated.

Lindsay
      Why would you want to do this? Spreadbetting is taxfree for individuals.
      The only way of getting money out of your company without paying tax is to make a "capital distribution". If you have held the company for a number of years, you may be able to use a capital distribution and taper relief to get the money. But I would consult an accountant if I were you.

Hope you know what youre doing with spreadbetting. 95% of people blow their account.

I agree with QwertBerty's advice, but you will need to use a proper broker rather than spreadbetting co. The advantage might be that you will be able to deduct losses from your tax bill, but again consult an accountant.
      Last edited by SantaClaus; 26 September 2008, 08:21.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Why do you want to do this? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Comment

Don't do it!!!

SB is hard.......you needs years of losses before making any money, even with the current bear market....

If you must, paper trade. If you cannot double the stakes after a period of multiple trades through a six month period, then give up.

Personally I wouldn't. Emotions such as fear and greed become magnified, and those two will prevent the golden rule of cut loss and run profits.....

Having won thousands and loss thousands, the roller coaster really wasn't worth it.....

Better off spending your time earning rather then trying to gamble...

Comment

what about stocks daytrading? Can you use company's money for that ?

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

I'm not really in a position to work much, had a nice lucrative contract that I couldnt refuse and worked for 6 months and have built up a nice little pot. Having small kids it was hard and now I am back home looking after them full time but I do have some free time to play the markets.

I'm paper trading at the moment and learning the ropes. But I have a bit of cash that I can afford to lose and to me this seems like an oppoturnity to increase the capital.... Maybe that's naive - probably, reading your experiences/advice!

Am planning to trade shares too.

L

Comment

I keep getting e-mails from people in West Africa offering to cut me in for a share of a magic bean farm. Should I front the money for this venture from the bank account where I keep the tax money?
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                  what about stocks daytrading? Can you use company's money for that ?
                  Of course. I believe there are already some companies that do that. In fact a few of them have been in the news lately.

hth
                  tl

Comment

A limited company is its own legal entity. I cannot see any valid reason why a limited co would want to be involved in spread betting never mind allowing its money to be spent in such a way.

No wonder contractors get investigated by HMRC.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X