• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat Rate VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Rate VAT

Due to too many commitments and a bit of laziness I'm getting a subcontractor to take on one of my projects.

I need to consider whether it would make sense to come off the flat rate vat scheme. Is there an easy way to work out the point where that would make sense? I guess it's if the VAT paid out to subcontractor would exceed 2 (or is it 3)% of turnover for the year ahead. Does that sound right?

Can I make the decision part way through a quarter so I can see how much it's likely to cost, and then still apply normal vat rules for the whole of that quarter?

thanks for any help

Originally posted by Limited View Post
    Due to too many commitments and a bit of laziness I'm getting a subcontractor to take on one of my projects.

I need to consider whether it would make sense to come off the flat rate vat scheme. Is there an easy way to work out the point where that would make sense? I guess it's if the VAT paid out to subcontractor would exceed 2 (or is it 3)% of turnover for the year ahead. Does that sound right?

Can I make the decision part way through a quarter so I can see how much it's likely to cost, and then still apply normal vat rules for the whole of that quarter?

thanks for any help
    isn't FRS also depend on turnover, in which case taking on a subbiee may push you over that limit and the question if/when is no longer relevant?
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Good point - didn't think of that. Is the limit still 150,000?

I've been quite busy since April and looking busy until the end of the year, but don't know exactly what my turnover will be over a whole year.

How would that work? Is it based on a company's year or tax year or any random 12 month period?

Can it changed retrospectively?

thanks

Comment

yep, turnover has to be less than £150k to join.

I think you are forced to leave if at the year end you have crossed the threshold [ which is not £150k turnover, but £225k tax-INCLUSIVE turnover] , but I don't think they can apply it retrospectivly.

You can leave the scheme at the end of any vat accounting period, but you can't then rejoin for another 12 months.

So unless your sub contracting is an ongoing thing I'd try and hang in there unless you are forced out.
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Working...
        X