• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses/Mileage Log

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    You are an IT Professional and you record things in a book. What is wrong with this picture.....
    Nothing.

Books do not run out of battery life and still work if they get wet (provided you use a pencil)...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You are an IT Professional and you record things in a book. What is wrong with this picture.....
      You are an IT Contractor and you have no concept of, Value, Cost, Fit for Purpose, etc.

A book and a pencil cost about 50p and serve Bolshies purpose..... ie tot up his milage!

Obviously he could buy a top spec workstation, a big chunky server and an enterprise Oracle, he could pay someone to develop a Database in Oracle with entry screens, validation, cost lookups and all sorts........ and record his milage!

Whats wrong with this picture........... Bolshie is in profit and knows his milage.... you are thousands of pounds out of pocket and can only tot up your milage when sitting at your desk - unless you pay another developer to write you a webapp to access your Oracle database......

I am sure Bolshie uses a spread sheet or whatever.... but the principal still applies "Use what you have got to do what you need - don't pish money away needlessly"

Comment

BolshieBastard is a sound chap. I once mentioned recording my mileage in a little notebook in the glove compartment once and got sneered at on here too. They laughed at Einstein when he invented the television, now he's a billionaire.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Last year, I did over 28000 business claimable miles. I just record it in a book. How hard is it to work out first 10000 at 40ppm and the rest!?
          That's a lot of miles Bolshie. Pen and notepads work fine, but if you're charging mileage claims to clients and travelling to different locations it gets harder. The client wants to see a mileage claim. This is easier to create if you've got a softcopy of your trips - even if its in Excel.

But, I think the main reason some people prefer to use spreadsheets, iPhone apps or websites to log their mileage, rather than paper, is their attitude to technology. Some people want to make use of technology wherever they can, others don't. I guess it is down to personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Nothing.

Books don't crash.
            Oh so you also supply IT solutions that crash. No wonder you dont trust your own tech

Stay tuned for more delightful insights like

"Letters with stamps dont get rejected as spam" and "card indexes are just as fast as databases"

Comment

Nothing at all. I use the simplest method and dont over complicate things. But you carry on writing in your, erm, spreadsheet!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
              X