• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Time to fight back!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Oops....
    FWIW I am really really pleased you decided to stay. You have made some great points and made peoople think.

And if I eventually lose I will console myself with the fact that you will be happy!

Comment

We formed a union about 10 years ago. You're welcome to join.

OK, once last go at explaining reality, and for once I don't give a flying f*** how you feel about it:

There is a conception in HMG that freelance IT workers are only working the way they do to avoid tax. We aren't, we are required to work that way because of extant legislation. We don't pay any more tax than absolutely necessary - why should we? - but we do pay what is legally required. What is more, some of us are working to get that position recognised, on behalf of the roughly 1.5 million small businesses affected by HMG's war on the freelance sector.

Then we have a couple of thousand arrogant twats who think that by using some obscure and dubious (and now demonstrably incorrect) interpretation of two lines of badly written legislation, they need not pay any UK tax at all on 95% of their UK income. What's worse, they think they are so right they should challenge HMG through the courts to protect their patently ridiculous position.

Well here's the truth. You are cheating everyone else and you're damaging our own case quite severely but are too selfish to realise it. AFAIC you deserve all you get. Enjoy the rest of this thread and your futile legal challenge. I'm staying out of it in case I say something I actually regret.
      "Then we have a couple of thousand arrogant twats ".....
      Grow up, get real and stick to the playground (or PGC forums) for name-calling please. Plus there's more like 2 or 3 million "arrogant twats" who legally exploit badly worded legislation to minimise their tax bill. Whine at the Government legislatures, not us.

"their patently ridiculous position..." We'll let the law courts decide that shall we? Can't be that ridiculous else, HMRC would have taken us to court years ago.

and as for "We don't pay any more tax than absolutely necessary - why should we? - but we do pay what is legally required"... this is exactly what this thread discusses.. whats "legally required" and what isn't. Its not for you or I to decide what's legally required - that's the courts decision. People like you decide to confuse legality with morality when it suits them. Lets stick to legality - other threads discuss morality. And your opinion means Jack in a law court, in this thread and to me.

Comment

But you do. That's the point.
        in your opinion remember, that hasnt been proven...good grief the arrogance is quite astonishing...

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
          in your opinion remember, that hasnt been proven...good grief the arrogance is quite astonishing...
          Lets just hope Mal is not the judge hearing the JR!

Comment

interesting, yet another tax would have had retrosepctive implications that the treasury have now had a rethink and changed....There seems to be a theme here....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ox/7429030.stm

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              interesting, yet another tax would have had retrosepctive implications that the treasury have now had a rethink and changed....There seems to be a theme here....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ox/7429030.stm
              very very interesting.

"But campaigners pointed out that meant up to 420,000 people would get a tax bill of up to £300 on income they were used to receiving tax-free. "

I wish it said who these campaigners were! Is it age concern? I am interested in how they went about getting this decision.

Comment

Can we please leave the moral debate out of this? That is probably better discussed in the pub over a few beers...

Comment

I wish it said who these campaigners were! Is it age concern? I am interested in how they went about getting this decision.

John Whiting certainly gets around. He is the guy from PwC who gave evidence to the Treasury Committee. PwC are acting on behalf of clients (property developers?) who are also affected by BN66/Clause 55.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

John Whiting certainly gets around. He is the guy from PwC who gave evidence to the Treasury Committee. PwC are acting on behalf of clients (property developers?) who are also affected by BN66/Clause 55.
                    "John Whiting, an accountant and member of the Low Incomes Tax reform group"

The low incomes bit means he will probably not be doing the PWC bn66 stuff I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      "John Whiting, an accountant and member of the Low Incomes Tax reform group"

The low incomes bit means he will probably not be doing the PWC bn66 stuff I guess?
                      I think he is still overseeing it, although the case is being managed on a day to day basis by someone else at PwC.

Comment

Working...
                      X