• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Time to fight back!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    We formed a union about 10 years ago. You're welcome to join.

OK, once last go at explaining reality, and for once I don't give a flying f*** how you feel about it:

There is a conception in HMG that freelance IT workers are only working the way they do to avoid tax. We aren't, we are required to work that way because of extant legislation. We don't pay any more tax than absolutely necessary - why should we? - but we do pay what is legally required. What is more, some of us are working to get that position recognised, on behalf of the roughly 1.5 million small businesses affected by HMG's war on the freelance sector.

Then we have a couple of thousand arrogant twats who think that by using some obscure and dubious (and now demonstrably incorrect) interpretation of two lines of badly written legislation, they need not pay any UK tax at all on 95% of their UK income. What's worse, they think they are so right they should challenge HMG through the courts to protect their patently ridiculous position.

Well here's the truth. You are cheating everyone else and you're damaging our own case quite severely but are too selfish to realise it. AFAIC you deserve all you get. Enjoy the rest of this thread and your futile legal challenge. I'm staying out of it in case I say something I actually regret.
    Just thought I would join the debate, having worked in IT with numerous contractors over the years (the majority of whom were actually less able than the permanent staff they worked with I have to say). Malvolio's post says it all for me, as does the Gooner's; I really don't see any valid argument
    why anybody should get away with paying less tax than the majority of the working population. It's as simple as that. As contractors, yes you don't get paid for sickness or holidays but that is surely reflected in the higher (much higher in some cases) rate of pay you receive. But you knew that when you went into contracting, and to attempt to use that fact as some sort of excuse for not paying your fair share of income tax is frankly laughable. The
    two things are entirely unrelated. I wonder how many of you consider the fact that for every £ of tax you avoid that someone else is having to pay a bit more? Because that is the inevitable result of tax avoidance. And those that are being taxed further to make up the shortfall are almost certainly less well paid than yourselves. Don't you think it's about time you started making a fair contribution? And if HMRC does manages to extract the tax which you
    have avoided over the last few years I wouldn't expect a lot of sympathy for you in the current climate; you should surely have put money aside for this very eventuality which you must have known was always a possibility.

Comment

gooner

I know your right, do you not think I curse myself for the stupidity that got me into this every day, I'm telling now you I've paid in spades for the last 7 years. but what can I say, it was part human frailty and part ir35 fuelled resentment

mal

'pay the f**king tax then'

I cant. nor can I borrow it apparently.. and before you say any more you know nothing of me or my circumstances..

I frankly cant wait til its all over one way or the other, and on the bright side, it wasnt long ago I thought I might do time for it.

Comment

I'm staying out of it in case I say something I actually regret.
        I will defend you right to see what you think all the way down the line. But I think you are wrong on most of your points.

HMRC started the attack on us first. If it wasn't for IR35 I reckon Montpelier would not have got off the ground.

I am in this game to do the best for my children. The rest of you can do what you want when you want.

There is a seperate thread on the morality of paying tax.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I will defend you right to see what you think all the way down the line. But I think you are wrong on most of your points.

HMRC started the attack on us first. If it wasn't for IR35 I reckon Montpelier would not have got off the ground.

I am in this game to do the best for my children. The rest of you can do what you want when you want.

There is a seperate thread on the morality of paying tax.
          Ah - the old "doing it for my children" excuse. I suppose bank robbers and burglars could say the same thing? I wonder if you know quite how pathetic that sounds.

Comment

Mal Ive heard it all now, you expect me to pay something that hasnt been proven I owe...what a classic!!! Im really into the habit of handing over a £100k when its not owed

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              Mal Ive heard it all now, you expect me to pay something that hasnt been proven I owe...what a classic!!! Im really into the habit of handing over a £100k when its not owed
              But you do. That's the point.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

No. Because they had to use retrospective legislation. Clarification is something the courts do. It becomes clearer that montpelier will win - though it will take years to prove it.

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/548438-post440.html

"Enjoy the rest of this thread and your futile legal challenge. I'm staying out of it"

a whole 16 hours away.

or was there some sort of retrospective legislation/clarification that enabled you to do an about face?

Comment

We formed a union about 10 years ago. You're welcome to join.

OK, once last go at explaining reality, and for once I don't give a flying f*** how you feel about it:

There is a conception in HMG that freelance IT workers are only working the way they do to avoid tax. We aren't, we are required to work that way because of extant legislation. We don't pay any more tax than absolutely necessary - why should we? - but we do pay what is legally required. What is more, some of us are working to get that position recognised, on behalf of the roughly 1.5 million small businesses affected by HMG's war on the freelance sector.

Then we have a couple of thousand arrogant twats who think that by using some obscure and dubious (and now demonstrably incorrect) interpretation of two lines of badly written legislation, they need not pay any UK tax at all on 95% of their UK income. What's worse, they think they are so right they should challenge HMG through the courts to protect their patently ridiculous position.

Well here's the truth. You are cheating everyone else and you're damaging our own case quite severely but are too selfish to realise it. AFAIC you deserve all you get. Enjoy the rest of this thread and your futile legal challenge. I'm staying out of it in case I say something I actually regret.
                    Eloquent and to the point. Excellent post, Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      http://forums.contractoruk.com/548438-post440.html

"Enjoy the rest of this thread and your futile legal challenge. I'm staying out of it"

a whole 16 hours away.

or was there some sort of retrospective legislation/clarification that enabled you to do an about face?
                      Oops....
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X