• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retrospective VAT application

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrospective VAT application

Hi,

I have been trading since Nov but not charging VAT and not VAT registered. Is it possible to apply for a VAT number now and then retrospectively apply it to my previous invoices and ask the agency for the VAT in my next invoice?

Thanks

Can I ask why you would want to do this.

AFAIK if you didn't put "VAT Pending" on your invoices you can't do so, which means you'd have to stump up the VAT from your own pocket.

Comment

The VAT money isn't yours anyway, you are just collecting it for the government.....

Comment

I have a similar issue...

I have just sent my forms off to register for VAT and sent my flat rate application along with it.

I start my first contract on the 1st April and will be sending my first invoice on the 30th April. Apparently the VAT department are taking a while to process applications so it could take 4 weeks plus to get it all sorted. So what should I do ? Should I charge VAT or should I not charge VAT until I am confirmed as registered ?

Cheers
        Last edited by dx4100; 19 March 2008, 14:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
          The VAT money isn't yours anyway, you are just collecting it for the government.....
          Unless your on the lat rate scheme and then some of it is :P

Comment

Originally posted by oafc0000 View Post
            I have a similar issue...

I have just sent my forms off to register for VAT and sent my flat rate application along with it.

I start my first contract on the 1st April and will be sending my first invoice on the 30th April. Apparently the VAT department are taking a while to process applications so it could take 4 weeks plus to get it all sorted. So what should I do ? Should I charge VAT or should I not charge VAT until I am confirmed as registered ?

Cheers
            It's posted all over this forum if you can be bothered to do a search.

Anyway because you are too damn lazy:
            1. Submit your invoice with the words "VAT registeration pending"
            2. Leave the vat figure of your invoice
            3. Once you get your registration number then submit an invoice for the VAT
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              It's posted all over this forum if you can be bothered to do a search.

Anyway because you are too damn lazy:
              1. Submit your invoice with the words "VAT registeration pending"
              2. Leave the vat figure of your invoice
              3. Once you get your registration number then submit an invoice for the VAT
              Lazy or tried to seach for it but got nothing back of use ???

Maybe you shouldnt be so quick to jump on people.....

Search facilities are great....if you know the magical combination of words to put into them to bring back exactly what you want......

.....I do thank you for the answer though.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                Can I ask why you would want to do this.

AFAIK if you didn't put "VAT Pending" on your invoices you can't do so, which means you'd have to stump up the VAT from your own pocket.
                I am looking at regaining the difference between the flat rate and the amount invoiced. My agency are OK with me resubmitting the invoices with VAT pending but is it slightly naughty to only apply for the VAT number now?

Comment

Originally posted by oafc0000 View Post
                  Lazy or tried to seach for it but got nothing back of use ???

Maybe you shouldnt be so quick to jump on people.....

Search facilities are great....if you know the magical combination of words to put into them to bring back exactly what you want......

.....I do thank you for the answer though.....

Try:

vat registration waiting
                  vat registration pending

and see what comes back.

HTH
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Rangster View Post
                    I am looking at regaining the difference between the flat rate and the amount invoiced. My agency are OK with me resubmitting the invoices with VAT pending but is it slightly naughty to only apply for the VAT number now?
                    Not naughty - how were you meant to know what your turnover was going to be?

When you get the VAT certificate, you can then reinvoice for the VAT element from the date on the certificate onwards. You cannot claim VAT for any period before then.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X