• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retrospective VAT application

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Not naughty - how were you meant to know what your turnover was going to be?
    When you set up a business you are suppose to have plans including financial predictions of your turnover at least for the first year.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      When you set up a business you are suppose to have plans including financial predictions of your turnover at least for the first year.
      Yep - the plan was that I'd get one contract under the threshold. But I'm so good, I got two, and need to register for VAT now.

Dead easy to explain.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
        Can I ask why you would want to do this.

AFAIK if you didn't put "VAT Pending" on your invoices you can't do so, which means you'd have to stump up the VAT from your own pocket.
        Talking from experience, this is not true, you are legaly obliged to bill for VAT from your registration start date, and your customers are legally obliged to pay it.

However it does make things a damn sight easier if you warn them up front if you are registering for VAT.

We didn't put anything about VAT on our first invoice, and when the VAT reg came through we had to issue a credit for the whole invoice, then reissue with VAT added. So it took us nearly 90 days to get our first invoice paid!

Comment

Working...
        X