• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Off Topic - Gas Alliance Problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off Topic - Gas Alliance Problem

Totally off topic but thought I'd canvass opinions on here!

A few weeks ago the Gas Alliance turned up in our road to replace gas pipes leading up to all the houses in the crescent where we live. They used Balfour Beatty as the contractors for the work.

The work took three days to complete. On day two the workers asked for access to the gas meter via our garage. We told them that the garage door only opens two thirds of the way so please access the meter via the house instead. They seemed ok with this.

On the last day they said it would be better if they could use the garage door and they would ensure that they would be careful and not open it further than two thirds. And to be fair this is what they did during the day.

However one of their workers open the garage door fully at some point in the late afternoon, forcing the rollers off the tracks and even the wire off the bobins. These guys buggered off home and left the contractor manager to close the garage door at about 7pm (dark). To cut a long story short the door was jammed open and it took him half an hour to get it shut.

The door cannot now be opened at all. The mechanism is knackered (bent). The wire has come completely of the bobin/pulley. The guy told us to ring the customer service department in the morning which we did. They agreed to send someone out to look at it... which they did. This guy took one look at it and said it was knackered, he couldn't fix it.

Anyway a week later we received a letter from Balfour Beatty stating that .. quote "the damage to your garage door was already existing prior to the team attending your property, therefore the North West Gas Alliance will not be making any offer of compensation on this occasion".

I have replied and basically put in writing that they were aware of the problem and yet one of their contractors forced the door completely open thus completely rendering the mechanism broken. I have told them that we are getting a quote to fix the door and expect them to pay the bill otherwise we will have no option but to take this to the small claims court.

We have a company coming round tomorrow to quote us to fix it.

Am I following correct process do you think? If they fail to pay (how long should I give them?) is the correct course of action to use the small claims court?

Comments welcome!

Have you got legal advice on your home or car insurance? Give them a ring and see what they say. If you are a PCG member, their legal advice line may be able to help too.

Sounds like a reasonable thing to be doing - I guess you need to see how bad the existing damage was. They certainly made things worse, so you may have a claim there.

Before going to small claims court, I would contact someone like Tony Levene, who writes in the Money section of the Guardian. They have a "problems page" like this where if they are interested, they will chase the story for you and help negotiate. My sister did this last year about problems with her house in France and the company in question moved from an initial offer of £0 (after 18 months of arguing) to a final settlement of over £4000 once the press got involved.

Best of luck, whatever you do.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks. I am a member of PCG but I'll wait for the Wife to check our home insurance as this seems more appropriate. Thanks for pointing us in that direction, didn't think of it.

Comment

I'd offer to go 50/50.

Probably the best you will get knowing that the garage door didn't open all the way.

Maybe they will offer to pay 2/3's as the cost of repair will make the door open all the way so they pay the for 2/3 you lose and you pay for the 1/3 that you didn't have before.

Comment

Working...
        X