• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limited & IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole thing just sounds like madness.....

I was really interested in giving the contractor game a go but right now im just being scared away from it. If the IR aren’t making things clear what hope do you have of doing things properly. To make us pay employers NI contributions is madness.

The risks involved with contracting, aka finding the next job etc plus the tax issues makes it pointless. If I get caught by IR35 I am not that much better off.

I suppose the IR are getting what they want....but surely a healthy contractor market is overall better for the economy ?

One final question, if I take a contract in London (I live in the north west) can I legally submit the cost of the accommodation (serviced apartment or hotel) as an expense?

Comment

There are a lot more risks when starting any business than being employed. Hector is but one of many (if paying tax is a risk). He doesn't spend all day in his office squeezing stones, sometimes he does want to see books and paperwork. My dealings so far with him have always been OK and I've had a PAYE (IR35) review. Keep your affairs in tip top order and all should be well.

Unfortunately, you chose to read some information from a company who's business model is based around temporary workers choosing them to run their pay roll, rather than someone checking all the relevant information and making a decision to go for it and start a business. At the end of the day, that's all you can do. It is your decision. But as I've mentioned before, there are a lot of people making a healthy living out of the 'IR35'.

Good luck in what you choose.

J

Comment

Originally posted by oafc0000 View Post

I was really interested in giving the contractor game a go but right now im just being scared away from it. If the IR aren’t making things clear what hope do you have of doing things properly. To make us pay employers NI contributions is madness.

The risks involved with contracting, aka finding the next job etc plus the tax issues makes it pointless. If I get caught by IR35 I am not that much better off.

I suppose the IR are getting what they want....but surely a healthy contractor market is overall better for the economy ?

One final question, if I take a contract in London (I live in the north west) can I legally submit the cost of the accommodation (serviced apartment or hotel) as an expense?
        Hmmm.. I just knew this post would come in handy again..

http://forums.contractoruk.com/452897-post3.html

When you've understood that lot, come back and try again.

HTH
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

May I just thank you for being a really nice person......
          Your welcome

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            Your welcome
            You're

Comment

What did you think contracting was going to be? An easy route to guaranteed earnings that are higher than your permie wage?

The risks are high, and our tax liability has the potential to be much higher than your average permie. That is why we get higher pay.

Another bloody permie thinking contracting is all about a quick easy buck....

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                What did you think contracting was going to be? An easy route to guaranteed earnings that are higher than your permie wage?

The risks are high, and our tax liability has the potential to be much higher than your average permie. That is why we get higher pay.

Another bloody permie thinking contracting is all about a quick easy buck....
                Bloody hell.....

The level of aggression on these boards is high. Like nothing I have ever seen.

The only thing I am saying is it seems to me that if u get caught by ir35 then it somewhat removes the money benefit of being a contractor. I'm not after a easy fast payday but I think considering the risks you would expect to be better off as a contractor. Sorry if my understanding is wrong. I came here to be put right but some of you lot like to put the boot in don't you.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Comment

Bloody hell.....

The level of aggression on these boards is high. Like nothing I have ever seen.

The only thing I am saying is it seems to me that if u get caught by ir35 then it somewhat removes the money benefit of being a contractor. I'm not after a easy fast payday but I think considering the risks you would expect to be better off as a contractor. Sorry if my understanding is wrong. I came here to be put right but some of you lot like to put the boot in don't you.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
                  Welcome to the real world of contracting. Nobody said it was easy! Equally, if you're put off by the robust attitudes of the denizens of this board, and can't se that IR35 is not something to be feared (and quite often something not to be paid), then you are probably better off not going freelance. You will make more money and you will have a better work/life balance and you will be much more in control of your own destiny - but you really do have to work at it.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Yes you can as it is a cost incured in the undertaking of your business.

The first timers guide is useful and there are also numerous threads (including links) regarding expenses on this site.

If you visit the SJD Accountancy website they also produce guides

Comment

Working...
                    X