• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency taking time to pay VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Unlikely - it's not you that's owed the money. It's the VAT man - if they don't get the money, they will send the boys round.
    I was thinking for all invoices issued by the company.

I'm not convinced HMRC wouldn't just harrass us rather than our debtors. It's too easy for them to resist. They'd probably just look at the total amount received during the vat period and expect their cut regardless.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by aikidoka View Post
      This is a question I've had...

I'm just about to start my first contract, got the ltd co. off the ground went to the HMRC website and downloaded the VAT1 form, sent it in the first week of jan (hoping to get registered by the time I submit my first invoice at the end of feb). I had it returned to me last week saying it was an old version (only 2 years out of date!), and would I mind filling in the new form. Filled in and sent back... but it is doubtful that I will get my VAT registration number back in time.

My accountant has advised that I still submit invoices with VAT on them and just put on them (next to the heading VAT Number) "Registration being processed". From the sounds of your reply, this is the way to go - after all, the worst they can do is to refuse to pay the VAT until I give them the number and then pay me all the VAT owed once I give them the number.
      That's not what I was getting at.

Invoice says 'VAT Registration Pending' but does not include VAT. When registered submit a VAT only invoice.

Only charge VAT once registered.

Comment

Originally posted by aikidoka View Post
        My accountant has advised that I still submit invoices with VAT on them and just put on them (next to the heading VAT Number) "Registration being processed". From the sounds of your reply, this is the way to go - after all, the worst they can do is to refuse to pay the VAT until I give them the number and then pay me all the VAT owed once I give them the number.
        Nope - the worst they can do is to ring the VAT man and tell him that you're charging VAT when not registered, leading to you going to jail for tax fraud for charging VAT when not registered.

If you charge VAT from (e.g.) January 1st to March 1st, and the VAT registration is only from February 20th, then you've just committed tax fraud.

Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

On your VAT registration form you specify when you want to start charging VAT. If your annual turnover will exceed the VAT threshold, this should be before your first invoice. You can't charge VAT, however, until you're registered.

You instead issue an invoice WITHOUT VAT, but with the words "VAT registration in process", or suchlike.

When your registration comes through, re-invoice all those invoices on or after the registration date, this time requesting the VAT. In the dim and distant pass, I just created a new invoice for just the VAT amount. C&E and the agency were both quite happy with that, but I believe that re-invoicing is the correct way to handle it.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Keep everyone informed

Talk to VAT man, they will help, maybe even point you to relevant documents you can pass onto the agent.

Write a letter to the Agency explaining your Registration is pending. Put Vat registratration pending on the invoices. Once registered re-issue any invoices that require vat with Vat element & number added. If you are cash accounting pay VAT on money eligible, await payment for the rest. OK you end up out of pocket for a while but thats better than upsetting teh vat man, youre earning £60K so you can afford it.

The agent won't pay VAT until they have a VAT invoice, you can't issue it until you are registered. If you exceeded the threshold or there is a delay in registration you can re-issue invoices once registered.

Talk to their accounts department and explain that you need paying the backdated VAT element fast, they may well work with you, they don't want you telling the VAT man they are witholding VAT they know is due.

IANAE, this is just what the nice VAT lady told me.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
            X