• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Income Shifting Consultation Document

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Oh come off it, please. Do you pay as much tax as you possibly can as a matter of principle? Because that is what the intent of NL's whole fiscal policy is based on - they haven't got enough income to pay for their wasteful and pointless programmes, they're running out of borrowing so they need more tax. Fairness and social equality are sod all to do with it.

As for your earlier point about changing inconvenient laws, then fine, they can do so. There is a due process which they are pretending to follow. As usual, they will ignore the incovenient bits of the law (that they passed) when necessary, in this case that the consultation from all sides including HM Opposition, is saying the proposal is unfair and unworkable in practice. We really don't want another five years argument and court cases to make it work, we want simplicity.
    I sympathise entirely with Tim123's perspective. The intention of the draft legislation is wholly fair and the intention is very simple.

I think as it stands we accountants (and consequently you contractors) will be able to drive a cart and horses through the draft legislation but that doesn't mean that the intention isn't simple. So anyone who wants to comply with the intention of the legislation, will be able to do so. I'm sure they won't, as they haven't done with IR35.

We will all be able to come up with complex scenarios where it is difficult to work out what to do, but in 90% of cases, it will be obvious and in the other 10% if you take a common sense approach, you'll come up with a reasonable answer, which I think they will accept.

Comment

Which is?

The PCG's point is that if you want to have consultation, then have consultation and not some pretendy vague proposal released with too little time to debate and counter-propose that they will implement because tere wasn't time to debate it...

The real answer is simple. Legally create a third class of worker so we have employee, contractor and employing business. Define taxation breaks and benefits thresholds for each. Forget S134c, you won't need it since contractors won't need companies.

And I feel I ought to declare a (non-)interest. I own all my shares since CoSec is over the higher rate limit anyway so there's never been any point. that doesn't mean I am not extremely angry at this blatant attack on my freeedom of choice.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
        I sympathise entirely with Tim123's perspective. The intention of the draft legislation is wholly fair and the intention is very simple.
        At the time the law is passed, its intention may well be clear. However, that will not stop HMRC from seeking to expand the scope of the legistation to maximise tax take, perhaps under instructions from future political masters. (As happened with 660a).

Further, while perhaps for the majority of contractors it is clear that their spouses make no contribution, and therefore there is no scope for income sharing, the difficulties arise where the spouses do make a contribution. And it is for this minority that it is essential that the legislation is clear.

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        And I feel I ought to declare a (non-)interest. I own all my shares since CoSec is over the higher rate limit anyway so there's never been any point. that doesn't mean I am not extremely angry at this blatant attack on my freeedom of choice.
        I too have a non-interest. I live and contract abroad. There's no tax relief on dividend income (no IR35), and taxation is on the family (all income is shared ). But I still find the draft proposals worrying.
        Last edited by NotAllThere; 7 December 2007, 14:20.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Does this not count as income shifting ???

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nsarah107.xml
          Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
            Does this not count as income shifting ???

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nsarah107.xml
            Can you just give you wife a £700K property? Doesn't she need to pay any capital gains tax?
            Last edited by Lewis; 7 December 2007, 16:11.

Comment

Pyrhic Victory!

Seems to me that money spent on fighting the Arctic case could have been better spent elsewhere (maybe lobbying or page adverts). I quit the PCG just after that as I thought they shouldn't be gloating at the publicity received for one of the most (IMO) undeserving cases of a couple earning a packet and paying themselves the absolute min in terms of salaries and taking the mickey on the divi side. I have operated a Ltd. Co for 13 years and (based on last accounts) salaries were 30 for me 5 for wife plus divis - still 50/50, but was planning to change to maybe 70/30. However this will force me to close my company after all these years. I wasn't expecting anything less from this vindictive gov't, however I was expecting more from the pcg. To me they were like King Canute, fighting the tide. What did they expect to gain from this?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                Can you just give you wife a £700K property? Doesn't she need to pay any capital gains tax?
                No. Interspousal transfers are exempt from CGT. They may have had to pay some stamp duty if there was a mortgage of over £120K on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
                  Seems to me that money spent on fighting the Arctic case could have been better spent elsewhere (maybe lobbying or page adverts). I quit the PCG just after that as I thought they shouldn't be gloating at the publicity received for one of the most (IMO) undeserving cases of a couple earning a packet and paying themselves the absolute min in terms of salaries and taking the mickey on the divi side. I have operated a Ltd. Co for 13 years and (based on last accounts) salaries were 30 for me 5 for wife plus divis - still 50/50, but was planning to change to maybe 70/30. However this will force me to close my company after all these years. I wasn't expecting anything less from this vindictive gov't, however I was expecting more from the pcg. To me they were like King Canute, fighting the tide. What did they expect to gain from this?
                  Why will this force you to close your company? You are doing things the way "they" want you to and what the new rules are intended to enforce. Aren't you?

Comment

It says 'Not Worth Listening to' under your name and this proves it. Arctic was about more than one years income. The original bill was a whopping £43,000 plus interest. The tax office was wrong, it was proved so in two of the highest courts in the land.

The tax office were nothing more than bullies. Had that bill hit anybody else then they may not have had the PCG, they would have needed to mortgage their house to pay this bill. That is a bill that they did not legally or morally owe. The tax office gave way on most of that bill when it got to the courts, so the tax office fought that case all the way to the HoL over £7,000. It cost an estimated £500,000 that the tax office is going to have to pay.

Income sharing of this kind was expected when the independent taxation of spouses was brought in. It was expected by BusinessLink - part of what was the DTI, last time I checked part of the same government as the Treasury. Advisors all understood that this was a legitimate form of tax planning. So the PCG was perfectly correct in supporting one of it's members, that after all is what it is there for.

The CC and the BoD were all aware that the Treasury could and probably would change the rules. They were aware before the Chancellor got up and said he was going to. But it was perfectly right to challenge in anyway an attempt to misapply tax law and to backdate it to the maximum possible.

Comment

...undeserving cases of a couple earning a packet and paying themselves the absolute min in terms of salaries and taking the mickey on the divi side. I have operated a Ltd. Co for 13 years and (based on last accounts) salaries were 30 for me 5 for wife plus divis - still 50/50...
                      Hang, you go all moralistic on the Jones for min salary/max divi to avoid tax, which was and still is perfectly legal, Yet you consider that your sharing your income with your wife, in order to avoid tax, which this government has decided is a naughty exploitation of a loop-hole, is all in order and above board.

Is this one of those irregular verbs?

I prudently manage my tax liability,
                      You are avoiding tax
                      He has to take his case to the highest court in the land...
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X