• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Managed Service Company Tax Demand

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managed Service Company Tax Demand

My previous Managed Service Company (3 letters, first letter J) has sent me a £3500 tax demand for 06/07. I think they have decided they need some more money as this did not happen the previous year, and they shut down all the MSC thanks to Gordon's ruling. Can I fight this? Probably not, since I was a director but not the owner of the MSC - I assume they can charge me what they like by juggling figures around. Its a shock - what shall I do?
    end of body tag

Take professional advice, quickly.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by heinz View Post
      My previous Managed Service Company (3 letters, first letter J) has sent me a £3500 tax demand for 06/07. I think they have decided they need some more money as this did not happen the previous year, and they shut down all the MSC thanks to Gordon's ruling. Can I fight this? Probably not, since I was a director but not the owner of the MSC - I assume they can charge me what they like by juggling figures around. Its a shock - what shall I do?

What sort of tax ?
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by heinz View Post
        Are you sure this isn't just the bill for the higher rate tax due on the dividends you would have received? It will certainly have nothing to do with the MSC legislation.
        P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

worried

Please clarify this as I was with the co you refer to and do not want the same type of demand

Comment

NI Class 4

Its not TAX, its something to do with Class 4 NI contributions,
            which I thought I had paid. But they get my NI number wrong
            and my dob. All I can say its SCARY. Been to toilet several times already.
            end of body tag

Comment

Class 4 is for self employed isn't it ?
              Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
                Class 4 is for self employed isn't it ?
                Class 1 is regular NI. Class 2 is the regular payments you make if self employed(about £2.20 per week). class 3 if you not employed and want to get pension (about £6.60 per week).Class 4 is the 8% of what you earned if you pay class 2.

Comment

Surely then this means that they are in error not you.

If they haven't run the company correctly then TS....gordo can chase then for it. Not sure how getting your NI number wrong as the only thing AFAIK that changes NI contributions is if you are a director or not and they can hardly mess that up.

Comment

is the second letter M or S

Comment

Working...
                    X