• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giant getaway

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giant getaway

I just recived an email from Giant so say their dispensation has been increased to double what it used to be now £36!

THis makes me laugh as their portals don't allow you to claim exactly what you spent, your only option s to claim the full day's flat rate, meaning you are then ment to fill out a self assessment form at the end of the year to actually claim what you were rightly entitled to in expenses. Surely they cannot keep doing this and surely the HMRC aren't stupid enough to let it continue, oh yeah they are as they were the one that upped their dispensation!

Makes me really annoyed as hundreds or thousands of contractors go through people like Giant because of their dispensation, regardless of whether thwey are able t claim or not. Many I speak to just say well my umbrella won't let me claim any less than the flat rate so what I can do. Meanwhile pocketing £50-100 a month extra for blatant fraud.

Rant for day over!!

Originally posted by damo111176 View Post
    I just recived an email from Giant so say their dispensation has been increased to double what it used to be now £36!

THis makes me laugh as their portals don't allow you to claim exactly what you spent, your only option s to claim the full day's flat rate, meaning you are then ment to fill out a self assessment form at the end of the year to actually claim what you were rightly entitled to in expenses. Surely they cannot keep doing this and surely the HMRC aren't stupid enough to let it continue, oh yeah they are as they were the one that upped their dispensation!

Makes me really annoyed as hundreds or thousands of contractors go through people like Giant because of their dispensation, regardless of whether thwey are able t claim or not. Many I speak to just say well my umbrella won't let me claim any less than the flat rate so what I can do. Meanwhile pocketing £50-100 a month extra for blatant fraud.

Rant for day over!!
    That's interesting, they changed the Powerhouse portal towards the end so that you could type in an exact figure rather than the max, plus you had to start sending in receipts too. So have the back tracked on that?

Comment

Originally posted by damo111176 View Post

Rant for day over!!
      It's actually in HMRC's interest for them to do this (cynical me!). The more people they catch under this, the more penalties and interest to claw back. Of course, that relies on them catching people.

Shouldn't be allowed, since it's essentially encouraging tax fraud, but since they don't get into trouble for it, why should they change the lies / implications that they are pedalling?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Powerhouse did start doing it before the MSC ruling came fully into force and they also lost their dispensation so receipts were required however under their umbrella service the dispensation stands (and in this case has increased) and a colleague reliably informs me that he just puyts days claimed 5 and it automatically gives him £9 a day. Another colleague works under another umbrella who he quesitoned re subsistence saying he did not spend £8 a day on lunch but they said claim it you are entitled to it, he explained he had no receipts to substantiate £8 a day and they didn't care just said you are entitled to £8 a day therefore thats what we give you. How bad is that!

My umbrella gives options for how much you claim and then you keep the receipts accordingly.

I pray for the day of the level playing field where everyone has to play to the same rules but that world does not exist so in the meantime I'll remian honest and not quite as rich.

Comment

Working...
        X