• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are my assumptions correct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
    Having said that it is a risk. If I were you I would try and get your first contract in the bag before you hand in your notice for your permie job.
    It appears the city contractor market has been sideswiped by the on going credit "crisis"

Check out jobstats.co.uk

Detetica who also provide IT services to the banks warned today on their outlook.

25% share price hit.

Comment

wow. sometimes i realise i'm not as clever as i thought.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyBoy32 View Post
        How can that be? If you run 450 a day through the ir35 calc, you get a monthly net of about 5,600 which would require a salary of about 104,000..

?
        What about:
        Holiday pay
        Sick pay
        Time off between contracts
        Pension
        Other benefits
        Etc etc

£450 a day 5 days a week 52 weeks a year would maybe equate to £100k with no benefits
        £450 a day 5 days a week, 40 weeks a year, probably more like £60k + benefits

I usually go on hourly rate * 1000 (so approx 56k for £450/8)

Comment

How can that be? If you run 450 a day through the ir35 calc, you get a monthly net of about 5,600 which would require a salary of about 104,000..

?

It's not about eqality in money terms - keep up !!

If you are a PM on about £450 per day - the same job would not be advertised for a permie role as £100,000 pa.

A permie job for a PM would more than likely attrach a salary of about £45k.
          Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
            What about:
            Holiday pay
            Sick pay
            Time off between contracts
            Pension
            Other benefits
            Etc etc

£450 a day 5 days a week 52 weeks a year would maybe equate to £100k with no benefits
            £450 a day 5 days a week, 40 weeks a year, probably more like £60k + benefits

I usually go on hourly rate * 1000 (so approx 56k for £450/8)
            Well -the ir35calc (http://calculator.contractoruk.com/) works out your year based on working 44 weeks which, ok, might be optimistic but even when you take all the above into consideration I'd still rather take home £5,615 a month on a £450 a day contract outside ir35 than £3423 a month on a 60k perm job.

Then again, 60k is not exactly a bad salary is it..

What am I missing?

Comment

Well -the ir35calc works out your year based on working 44 weeks which, ok, might be optimistic but even when you take all the above into consideration I'd still rather take home £5,615 a month on a £450 a day contract outside ir35 than £3423 a month on a 60k perm job.

Then again, 60k is not exactly a bad salary is it..

What am I missing?

yes - thats why a lot of us do contracting rather than permie work !!!

However there are additional benifits to being permie which need to be added into the equation....
              How much does a company put into your pension fund ?
              How many hours do you work as a contractor which you don't get paid for - ie contract search, interviews, accounts ect.
              What additional expenses do you incur as a business ? Fees, Insurance etc.

All of these things either add to the figure of £3423 or detract from the £5615.

But at the end of the day contracting can be rewarding from a financial point of view, I personally do it for the lifestyle - I don't think anybody should do it purely for the money.
              Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Working...
              X