• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella

Anyone recommend an umbrella or other method of working on a contract until the end of March 2007, when then I'll use a ltd? I am currently paying 40% being a permie and dont mind going PAYE for a few months.

Originally posted by weboo View Post
    Anyone recommend an umbrella or other method of working on a contract until the end of March 2007, when then I'll use a ltd? I am currently paying 40% being a permie and dont mind going PAYE for a few months.
    One with a time machine, perhaps?

Assuming you mean March 2008, most people that know seem to suggest Parasol for a short haul gig. Watch out for escape clauses and the like that some of the brollies try to use to retain your business.

But if you accept you're inside IR35 anyway, why not set the company up and use that immediately. It's still cheaper than any brolly's fees.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      One with a time machine, perhaps?

Assuming you mean March 2008, most people that know seem to suggest Parasol for a short haul gig. Watch out for escape clauses and the like that some of the brollies try to use to retain your business.

But if you accept you're inside IR35 anyway, why not set the company up and use that immediately. It's still cheaper than any brolly's fees.
      That was quite a nice reply for you Mal
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Thanks, I had considered that approach - but I am still closing down my previous company I used this year due. It would have been done already, but I was made to wait 7 months for a Vat reg number - which added delays Thought I'd close that down before attempting to start another. Think I'll speak to my accountant and see what he thinks too. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by weboo View Post
          Thanks, I had considered that approach - but I am still closing down my previous company I used this year due. It would have been done already, but I was made to wait 7 months for a Vat reg number - which added delays Thought I'd close that down before attempting to start another. Think I'll speak to my accountant and see what he thinks too. Thanks again
          Any reason why? I can't see any reason not to start using a new Ltd straight away rather than go Brolly for a few months before starting the new Ltd.

Unless there is more to this than meets the eye.

Comment

Nothing like that, just did'nt want to have the hassle of starting up another company until the other one was dead and buried.

Comment

Why are you closing one company, to pay more tax, then start another one up?

Confused.

Have a search if you really want umbrella companies - it's been asked goodness knows how many times before, including a couple of times this week.
              Last edited by TheFaQQer; 18 November 2007, 11:48.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                ... to pay more text
                OMFGURN00BLOL

Or did you mean

tax

perchance?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  OMFGURN00BLOL

Or did you mean

tax

perchance?
                  I have no idea what you mean - read the post carefully and you'll see that it never mentions text, only tax
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                  X