• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Registering Trademark Under Your Own Name

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registering Trademark Under Your Own Name

Hello,

I have set up limited company to run my internet service based business. I would like to register the name of the service as the trademark. I want to keep the company small, with no employees etc. I am the only one director. Therefore I would prefer to register the trademark under my own name (not the company name). If I had to close the company one day, I would own the trademark at least. Is there any issue in that?

Thank you.

Martin

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Hello,

I have set up limited company to run my internet service based business. I would like to register the name of the service as the trademark. I want to keep the company small, with no employees etc. I am the only one director. Therefore I would prefer to register the trademark under my own name (not the company name). If I had to close the company one day, I would own the trademark at least. Is there any issue in that?

Thank you.

Martin

No, anybody can own a trademark and allow it to be used by anybody else.

Trademarks are pretty pricey to get registered, and you need to renew on a regular basis.

You may also want to get it registered worldwide as opposed to europe or just the uk.
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

OHIM Fees

http://oami.europa.eu/en/office/marque/taxes.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
        No, anybody can own a trademark and allow it to be used by anybody else.

Trademarks are pretty pricey to get registered, and you need to renew on a regular basis.

You may also want to get it registered worldwide as opposed to europe or just the uk.
        Bluebird, thank you for quick reply.
        Ok, so I will registered trademark in my personal name. When registered, should I make any declaration or contract between me and my company saying the the company can use the trademark? Thanks a lot in advance.

Comment

Bluebird, thank you for quick reply.
          Ok, so I will registered trademark in my personal name. When registered, should I make any declaration or contract between me and my company saying the the company can use the trademark? Thanks a lot in advance.

No, you don't need to.

You can always put something in writing if you want to avoid any unpleasentness should you decide to sue your company in the future

Comment

Thank you for the link. I thinks this is too expensive for me. I will register the trademark in UK and US only (because I expect most customers will be from US). My only concern was whether to use my personal name or the company name.

Comment

Thank you for the link. I thinks this is too expensive for me. I will register the trademark in UK and US only (because I expect most customers will be from US). My only concern was whether to use my personal name or the company name.
              UK is about £200 don't know about the US.

Don't forget the £200 covers the search fee - so if it gets refused, you still have to pay.

Comment

Working...
              X