• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fairly urgent umbrella/Limited Co advice required

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    i'm sure they could pay you if they really wanted to but most clients discourage this kind of thing because it creates extra workload to setup and manage. you could try and sweet talk the hr/payables people to slip you under the radar but unlikely to happen given your short tenure there.
    Main reason that companies don't like paying you as a sole trader is because if you don't pay your tax or NI, then HMRC can go after the employer to get it paid. Most don't want the risk, hence the drive to Ltd or umbrella companies.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I found out today that the company I was doing the work for negotiated with the umbrella to make me an emergency payment this friday. It's lower than what it should be, but enough to make sure I don't need to call my bank manager And hopefully all the tax will be sorted out next payment cycle.

The whole thing has made me a bit wary of umbrella companies now but as they are just another link in the chain that can break on the way to me getting paid. The whole thing was supposed to be made easy by using them but it clearly hasn't been. But as I'm still not sure whether it was them who made the error, I don't think it will be fair for me to say which umbrella co it is. Plus they still have to run another payment cycle for me

Cheers

Comment

Well, I didn't get paid this friday. But it wasn't the fault of the Umbrella co, it was the company I'm doing the work for. They just forgot! Apparently it will now be tuesday.

Comment

Working...
        X