• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NI refund

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you know their name - get a recorded letter sent of which has to be signed for.
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
      If you know their name - get a recorded letter sent of which has to be signed for.
      I'm going to write a letter to the director, Matthew Brown. Hopefully he can resolve this.

Comment

Well just to complete this thread. I have been told there is no way this money can be returned to me. Which is very annoying as the NI calculations were Giant's responsibility and they made the mistake not me.

They told me that because the particular Giant Ltd company I worked through (of which there were hundreds) is closing I cannot be paid anything from it, of course, I pointed out that Giant "as a whole" is still running and I would bet they could if they wanted refund some of the fees I paid them.

Well .... Lesson learnt. Never, never trust anyone to process your money first! I'm actually glad that the MSC legislation was introduced now, as it pushed me back to running my own Ltd co. again which has resulted in me getting a higher take home and dumping Giant in the process.

So, every cloud does have a silver lining

Comment

Is the company "closing" or "closed". Have HMRC actually made a refund payment to the company?

I ditched Giant when they were still IAS. Looks like not much has changed.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Is the company "closing" or "closed". Have HMRC actually made a refund payment to the company?

I ditched Giant when they were still IAS. Looks like not much has changed.
            They say "closing" but that all bank accounts are now closed and so they cannot pay-in any NI refund cheques (they say they will not claim the refund and HMRC will not tell me if they have paid or not). But personally I think it is irrelevant if they get the money back or not. I paid for a service and as part of that service they had an obligation to correctly calculate NI, I think I should at least get some refund of the fees. They haven't even appologised for the error. Funnily enough I also used them as accountants back in the IAS days. I ditched them after a mistake, I assumed after a few years it would be safe to return. More fool me!

Comment

Depending on the amount, take them to the small claims court. You paid for a service, and they didn't deliver. It might work. ( Though I get the impression you're going to do what I'd do - cut losses and stop worrying about it ).
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
              X