+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 3 of 3

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dividend & Book keeping

I'm doing the book keeeping of my ltd myself and i don't know how to record a dividend paiement into the account.
    I know the process of meeting minutes/dividend tax vourcher but when you really pay the dividend out the company account, i don't know against which account of the standard chart of account to use.
    If somebody can give me the example of journal they use, would be gratefull.
    Thanks.

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You'll definitely need to include it in your cash flow statement as an outflow (if you prepare a cash flow statement).

Dividends that have been declared, but not yet paid, would appear as a current liability on the balance sheet. Dividends already paid do not appear on the balance sheet as they are no longer in the business.

On the Profit and Loss Account / income statement you would record the dividend declared below net profit after tax.
    Disclaimer: I might not know what I'm talking about!

Godlike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agreed. Specifically, divi owed at year end will usually be in BS under other creditors (includes directors). On P&L subtracting divi from net profit after tax gives you retained profits for the year figure, should be explicit in the P&L sheet you are using.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)