• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Same job with multiple agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same job with multiple agents

Interested to hear what others do when faced with the following situation...

Agent A calls about a job, sounds good, says you are suitable and will put your cv forward, lovely.

Agent B calls about a job, it appears to be the same one, says would like to put you forward. Hmm...what do I say??

Do I say, ok and get submitted twice. Or do I tell Agent B I have already been put forward.

Questions that spring to mind are...
    Why not be submitted twice and let the client see that I am obviously a good match and he can choose the agent to go with?

What if Agent A is out of favour with the client and therefore my chances are impeded by this?

Well I faced exactly the same situation for my current contract

I chose to stick with agent A and tell agent B that I was already being put forward for the role.

In my case, happy ending: I got it. But I would not derive any general rule from my own experience. Instinct would tell me to maybe try it through both agents. But then again the client can react positively ("must be a good match!") or negatively ("this guy is desperate and is signed up to every agent in the land!")

Dunno really. Sorry, not much help but you did ask what would we do if faced with.....

Comment

Thanks RL

One agent has now said to me that getting put forward twice is a no no and "will upset the client, who will ignore the cv".

I guess they would say that wouldn't they, if they thought that they were going to miss out.

Comment

agents

You forgot:

Agent A calls about a job, sounds good, says you are suitable and will put your cv forward, lovely.

But he doesn't put you forward because he also has Mr X who will take the contract on a lower rate than you. Mr X is not such a good fit as you, so you need to be kept out of the way.

Agent B calls about a job, it appears to be the same one, says would like to put you forward. You say, No, I'm afraid I've been put forward already.

Yes, they would say that being put forward twice will not get you the contract.

Comment

Re: agents

You could tell Agent B that you may have been put forward already. You could say that if that's the case, you will have to go with Agent A. Agent B will check on your behalf (if he's half decent) with the client, on the basis that if you have been submitted by Agent A, he will look more professional to the client (by checking first) and if you haven't, it will put a black mark against Agent A (both in your view and the clients view). It has worked for me twice.

Comment

agents

Agent B will check on your behalf (if he's half decent)
            Aye, there's the rub!

He may then figure that if you get the contract, Agent A will get the commission: therefore you must not get the contract...... or am I being too cynical?

Comment

You've missed the point - if Agent A did not submit you, Agent B can. It takes him 5 mins to check.

Comment

My advice is to ensure that you get a reference number for the post from each agent. If the reference numbers are different then get him to put you forward. If not, check with the first agent to see if you have been put forward.

If you have 2 different reference numbers and the job turns out to be the same one then it is not your problem - its the company's and agents'.

Comment

Go for both. I've been put forward for the same role by mutiple agents. Its not your issue - as long as the cv is good you'll get picked. Having multiple agents can only increase your chances.

Comment

It's not like it's your agent, as in the acting profession for example. If you don't have an exclusive arrangement with an agent, why should you go out of your way to give one of them exclusivity?

Of course an agent, or a client, may get pissed off with multiple submissions, and reject you for no good reason, to his own detriment as well as yours. Can't help non-rational behaviour on some people's part.....

Ask yourself this: would the agent put up more than 1 contractor if he thought that would increase his chances?

Comment

Working...
                    X