• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel - 24 month rule two clients in central London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel - 24 month rule two clients in central London

Hi All,

Have read some other threads and wanted some clarity. So currently working in the City by St Paul's station and my new client will be based in Liverpool street, so both clients in the City.

However commute wise this would entail me taking a different final tube connection (though note sometimes I would walk from my terminus national rail station) so I wondered whether this would mean I effectively reset the 24 month rule?

I assume this would potentially be a bit of a grey area - what is the consensus on this? And what is deemed by HMRC a suitable variation in commute to reset the 24 month rule?

Thanks for your advice.

Originally posted by kazuma View Post
    Hi All,

Have read some other threads and wanted some clarity. So currently working in the City by St Paul's station and my new client will be based in Liverpool street, so both clients in the City.

However commute wise this would entail me taking a different final tube connection (though note sometimes I would walk from my terminus national rail station) so I wondered whether this would mean I effectively reset the 24 month rule?

I assume this would potentially be a bit of a grey area - what is the consensus on this? And what is deemed by HMRC a suitable variation in commute to reset the 24 month rule?

Thanks for your advice.
    Nope. It's down the road, I wouldn't chance it...

Comment

Nope. Journey has to be significantly different. That isn't a significant change.
      One of HMRC's examples is a change of address in London so not so grey.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Broadly, this doesn't reset the 24 month rule. There may be a case to push your luck (and you would be pushing your luck) if the terminus you arrive into is Liverpool St (Fenchurch St might be harder to argue), and you were previously getting a train + tube ticket and you are now getting a train only ticket and walking at the other end.

Comment

Originally posted by kazuma View Post
          Hi All,

Thanks for your advice.
          Nothing grey about it, seems very clear cut to me.

Your journey variation is definitely not significant, so you cannot claim.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            Nothing grey about it, seems very clear cut to me.

Your journey variation is definitely not significant, so you cannot claim.
            If previously train plus tube, and now train only, that is arguable.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              In some cases maybe. In this case the two stops are only 1 mile apart and from the look of it both in the Square Mile of London which I thought was used as an example to show the clock isn't reset?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                Arguable possibly, significant change, as per the legislation, it is not.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  In some cases maybe. In this case the two stops are only 1 mile apart and from the look of it both in the Square Mile of London which I thought was used as an example to show the clock isn't reset?
                  There is little difference between a) getting out of the tube at St Paul's and b) getting out of the tube at Liverpool St. There is a difference between c) getting off the train at Liverpool St and walking five minutes, and d) getting pff the train at Liverpool St and getting the tube from Liverpool St to St. Paul's. Importantly the monthly travel card cost from Southend to London is £454 with tube and £327 without tube.

Bit of a grey area I would say.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Arguable possibly, significant change, as per the legislation, it is not.
                    If a change of workplace does not have any substantial effect on the employee’s journey, or the expense of that journey, the change is ignored
                    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/eim32280

Grey area I would say. I would continue claiming (if no longer need to and actually taking tube).

Comment

Working...
                    X