• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel - 24 month rule two clients in central London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    I bet they even called it the' Square Mile Rule' instead of the 'Square Mile Example' to illustrate the Rule.
    Yes, they did. I explained that the 4 miles between offices would be hard to fit into a square mile

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
      Yes, they did. I explained that the 4 miles between offices would be hard to fit into a square mile
      Bet you looked really good making that argument....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Isn't that what the 40% rule is for?
        You would think. 18 months at client 1, 3 months off then started at client 2. They said the clock started ticking when I started at client 1 and the 3 month break wasn't long enough.

There was no mention of the 40% rule either by PCG or HMRC. This was in the early 2000s so it may not have been in place at the time? I can't recall it being mentioned otherwise I would have used it in my defence.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Bet you looked really good making that argument....
          Just as good as they looked to me

Comment

You would think. 18 months at client 1, 3 months off then started at client 2. They said the clock started ticking when I started at client 1 and the 3 month break wasn't long enough.

There was no mention of the 40% rule either by PCG or HMRC. This was in the early 2000s so it may not have been in place at the time? I can't recall it being mentioned otherwise I would have used it in my defence.
            Have you read the first post in the relevant sticky? Start at the anticipated end of the current engagement and work backwards. Your example doesn't do that.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Yes, me

I worked in Edinburgh at two different clients. The route from my home office to their offices were different, I had 3 months off between contracts and driving from one client office to the other was just over 4 miles.

In my mind that was enough of a break and a difference in location but HMRC (during my IR35 investigation) insisted the Square Mile Rule applied and therefore I should have stopped claiming travel after 24 months.

My investigation went on for 4 years and I eventually, with the help of PCG, got them to drop it so I didn't pay anything back.

The general rule though is the direction of travel is what they will judge you on.
              Ok cool. This was part of another investigation though right ? They didn't pull you because you claimed expenses after the 24 month rule. And HMRC lost. So is this not a legal precedent and shouldn't we be quoting your case when queries like this are raised ?

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                Ok cool. This was part of another investigation though right ? They didn't pull you because you claimed expenses after the 24 month rule. And HMRC lost. So is this not a legal precedent and shouldn't we be quoting your case when queries like this are raised ?
                It won't be a legal precedent if it didn't go to court (I would think).

Comment

What would you be using the quote for? To show claiming it in this case is right or wrong?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If they investigate you they will investigate everything that you've done going back the previous 24 months and then before that as they'll have found the excuse to do it. They won't just have an investigation into your 24 month status

Comment

Working...
                    X