• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

broken the 24month rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    If it is a temporary workplace that meets criteria of <24 months, and you move house after 1 year from next door to the workplace to 40 miles away, you should be able to claim from that point up until the point when you are reasonably certain that you will be at the workplace >24 months.
    how so?

Surely the 24 month rule is about the workplace being temporary or permanent?
    If you move house that doesn't affect a permanent workplace.

Has all this talk of 'it's the journey not the contract' muddied the definition so much?
    I cannot see that HMRC would consider you moving 40 miles as having any effect on the temporary nature of your workplace.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      how so?

Surely the 24 month rule is about the workplace being temporary or permanent?
      If you move house that doesn't affect a permanent workplace.
      I know. That's why I posted:

If it is a temporary workplace

Comment

So you work for the same company, but not in the same place. Or you work in the same place but not for the same company. As I work for my Ltd Co. I go where "they" send me. On that basis, surely, I'm within the 24 month rule anyway?

Err...

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
          So you work for the same company, but not in the same place. Or you work in the same place but not for the same company. As I work for my Ltd Co. I go where "they" send me. On that basis, surely, I'm within the 24 month rule anyway?

Err...
          If you never attend a client site for >24 months then you are OK (normal caveats apply etc.)

Comment

thanks for the information. I will pick this up with my accountant when he is back end of next week.

If i was to stay contracting with the same company but moved office (40 miles away) for 3 days of the week then would this be acceptable to claim expenses?

My situation in detail is this:

I live in Scotland and travel to London each week. If i moved to an office (same client) outside of London for 3 days a week and 1-2 days a week in London (sometimes work from home) but still travelled from Scotland, this will be fine?

thanks everyone

Comment

broken the 24month rule

Originally posted by stek View Post
              At one contractor-rich gig, almost everyone was doing the old start a new limited up every year to avoid the 24 month rule.

Told them it was bollocks, no one seemed ti get caught.

One guy did get investigated some years after, probably unrelated but it was two years of hell for him. He won though.
              And people wonder why HMRC want to crack down on abuses by contractors!

If you only have one contract/place of work for each limited company you wouldn’t be able to claim travel anyway, as the travel is not temporary, it’s been the same site for the whole of the employment!
              Last edited by Waldorf; 12 November 2017, 13:27.
              "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

No need to worry

you wont be claiming any expenses when the new IR35 come into place

https://www.ipse.co.uk/our/news-list...ice-heard.html

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                  you wont be claiming any expenses when the new IR35 come into place

https://www.ipse.co.uk/our/news-list...ice-heard.html
                  it's one thing moving that rule to private sector. It's quite another to get the client companies to make an inside decision when it will cost them money.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

what?

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    it's one thing moving that rule to private sector. It's quite another to get the client companies to make an inside decision when it will cost them money.
                    How would it cost them any money?

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                      How would it cost them any money?
                      Increase in rates and/or expense costs to get contractors with niche skills to work in certain parts of the country.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X