• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self-Assessment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-Assessment

Hi
    I have registered with HMRC for self-assessment online all started well, the problem im having is one of the questions they ask, how much national insurance did you pay last year on HMRC online verify? please check your P60 (Employee's contributions due on all earnings above the PT (The P60 POINTS TO (0)

Any advice please
    Thanks
    Mark

Do we assume you are doing your own accounts?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Get an accountant asap.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Do we assume you are doing your own accounts?
        I work through my own ltd company signed off by accountant and all payments made to HMRC, my accountant set my wife up as a share holder only and 1 week ago we got the self assessment form through the post.
        I spoke to the accountant and he said you can do it yourself online I have asked him to do my wifes accounts but he has not contacted me via e.mail.

With dividends and wages under 12000

Thanks

Mark
        Last edited by Mark2009; 9 November 2017, 21:43.

Comment

Have you checked your engagement letter? I imagine they will want to charge you for the first one as you've not been with them a year and they'll charge you to do your wifes.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Have you checked your engagement letter? I imagine they will want to charge you for the first one as you've not been with them a year and they'll charge you to do your wifes.
            2nd year with my accountant but if he does not reply I will take my custom elsewhere, always paid up via internet banking, feel a little let down by the firm.

Comment

I'm not surprised if that's the answer/advice they gave.

Comment

OP, if you want to do a DIY Self Assessment return, I recommend you take a serious look at a software package called TaxCalc. It costs around GBP 25 (for up to 6 returns in that year) and is worth every penny. If you follow the software prompts and use the inbuilt help system along with the HMRC guidelines you'll do your own tax return and your partner's very easily. TaxCalc also advise you by phone or email on filling the form(s) in (they will not, however, answer any questions about tax) and they are very good. I used it myself for the first time in 16/17 and I am certain to continue using it for as long as I need to do a tax return ever year. HTH.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark2009 View Post
                  I work through my own ltd company signed off by accountant and all payments made to HMRC, my accountant set my wife up as a share holder only and 1 week ago we got the self assessment form through the post.
                  I spoke to the accountant and he said you can do it yourself online I have asked him to do my wifes accounts but he has not contacted me via e.mail.

With dividends and wages under 12000

Thanks

Mark
                  Why is your wife doing a self assessment?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    Why is your wife doing a self assessment?
                    You'd assume it's because she's got income from dividends greater than 10k.

Comment

Working...
                    X