• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Write off of hardware b4 closing Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    If you drop it and it breaks, then it's worthless, Shirley?
    So after June 2018 it will be 3 years since I bought it, my question is at that point is it worth anything to the Ltd or has it been written off as an asset in that time? If so I can just keep it, if not I will have to sell it as I don't need it, simples?

Comment

what is your companies fixed asset depreciation rules? And what is the net book value now?
      This will help you answer your own question ..
      Twitter: jonsmile

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
        So after June 2018 it will be 3 years since I bought it, my question is at that point is it worth anything to the Ltd or has it been written off as an asset in that time? If so I can just keep it, if not I will have to sell it as I don't need it, simples?
        There's nothing magic about 3 years, but in practice I'd suggest yes, for fairly old assets you can just keep them, no money needing to change hands.

Please don't consider this carte blanche to now buy loads of new gear, get tax relief in the final company figures, then do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
          There's nothing magic about 3 years, but in practice I'd suggest yes, for fairly old assets you can just keep them, no money needing to change hands.
          Oh nice... That gives me carte blanche to now buy loads of new gear, get tax relief in the final company figures, then do the same
          Please don't consider this carte blanche to now buy loads of new gear, get tax relief in the final company figures, then do the same.
          Crap...
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
            If its not worth anything you could scrap it and write it off.

If it is worth something YourCo could sell it.

Or you could "scrap it" and write it off and just keep it anyway. IMO not technically correct but in practice I doubt HMRC would ever find out.

If the company keeps it and you liquidate the company then it will become your property as part of the final distribution anyway, same as the profits left in the company.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              If its not worth anything you could scrap it and write it off.

If it is worth something YourCo could sell it.

Or you could "scrap it" and write it off and just keep it anyway. IMO not technically correct but in practice I doubt HMRC would ever find out.

If the company keeps it and you liquidate the company then it will become your property as part of the final distribution anyway, same as the profits left in the company.
              #micdrop

/thread
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'll just write the MBP off, did think about knocking out a new iPhone X and iPad pro before winding up the Ltd but throught that might be taking the p!ss

Comment

Working...
                X