• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgage -joint or sole

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£30 a month is a low price to pay for domestic harmony. I pay double that on dog chews to keep the old man quiet.

Comment

Perhaps I'm missing something...but any reason you can't still buy the property jointly, but have the mortgage solely in your name? Ie superficially it sucks for you, you're getting 50% of the asset but 100% of the accompanying liability...but if you're married, does that matter?

Perhaps there is an argument that getting her on the mortgage will be good for her long term, as she'll be building up some credit rating. I might be inclined to just get her a credit card (with a very low limit of course ) and ensure that's paid in full each month for this purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by konsultant View Post
        Thank you all so far

NLUK - to be fair, I did mention in my OP that " My spouse has only recently started working as a permie (<6 months)." :P :P
        That is not the same as only being in the country for less than 3 years.

For example your spouse could have been a full-time student in the UK for 10 years and so their credit rating could have not been good enough to lend on for a mortgage, but due to their residence in the country could easily be fixed by just working for 6 months.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          £30 a month is a low price to pay for domestic harmony. I pay double that on dog chews to keep the old man quiet.
          Its not about 30 quids or about domestic disharmony. We both are on the same page and willing to what is best for us. It was trying to understand if any of those options is better.

Again - I was never looking for joint name on deed and sole mortgage either.

Comment

Its not about 30 quids or about domestic disharmony. We both are on the same page and willing to what is best for us. It was trying to understand if any of those options is better.

Again - I was never looking for joint name on deed and sole mortgage either.
            It was about you wanting an answer none of us could give you. I gave you the answer, but you don’t even think that’s what you want to hear.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Good morning and thank you.

I know no one could make a decision for me - as I mentioned in one of the post I was looking to get wider opinions as I felt others may have had to make similar decisions in the past. It is always valuable to learn from others and use that knowledge to make a decision.

Comment

life lesson

Good morning and thank you.

I know no one could make a decision for me - as I mentioned in one of the post I was looking to get wider opinions as I felt others may have had to make similar decisions in the past. It is always valuable to learn from others and use that knowledge to make a decision.
                For £30 a month its a no brainer, do a joint mortgage, i am sure your wife says its absolutely fine, but that's just woman talk for did I marry a 'Tight Git' who is trying not to put my name on our house.

Comment

Working...
                X