• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Arctic Systems - how did they get on at each level?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is now incredibly difficult to fight HMRC. And now they do use very different tactics.

At the moment they are attacking schemes. And PSCs. The vast majority of schemes are lost causes.

Soon they will be coming after the rest. At that point it will be ArcticSystems2.

Comment

Maybe, but the increasing press attention is not happening by accident. The industry is already fighting back. At some point someone will take notice of the ever increasing mountain of evidence that the PS IR35 changes are costing HMT a lot of money rather than saving it and "fairness" as an economic policy is a non-starter...

TfL have raised an interesting point as well. An initial target completion of 2020 has now been revised to one of 2019 so clearly the impact of the loss of "agency" contractors is having no effect. Aren't we clever. Except, of course, that the real revised target was 2018 and they are processing double the number of trains at a time than originally planned for the 2020 completion date....
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

At the moment they are attacking schemes. And PSCs. The vast majority of schemes are lost causes.
        Schemes were just simply dodgy. I don't have much sympathy. I looked at them years ago and decided it was too high a risk.
        As for PSCs..... If HMRC really wanted to get more tax from them then why wouldn't they do what most of Europe does?

Answer: They don't want to.

Why: Good question. Is it because they value what a genuine freelance workforce does? Is it because deep-down they want to do it themselves later in their career?

If anyone knows why I'd be interested as it would provide some insight into what they'd do next.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          It is now incredibly difficult to fight HMRC. And now they do use very different tactics.

Soon they will be coming after the rest. At that point it will be ArcticSystems2.
          On the latter point you are correct. But it is already happening. I gave four examples ^^^ up there somewhere. There are many others too. There is no doubt what so ever in my mind about Arctic #2. Where we appear to differ is that I think it is already well underway and that Arctic #2 is by stealth and salami tactics. Not a show piece law suit. Your representatives at IPSE seem quite unable to recognise this (by design that is exactly what HMG want) and have no idea what they can do anyway. Actually, they can do nothing. Even a rear guard action will fail, as per recent episodes. I am mighty glad I chucked it all in. I am sorry for those following me. Meanwhile TPTB at IPSE are still arguing amongst themselves about "the rules" at their rather pathetic internet forum at every given opportunity. Everyone else has now left.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            On the latter point you are correct. But it is already happening. I gave four examples ^^^ up there somewhere. There are many others too. There is no doubt what so ever in my mind about Arctic #2. Where we appear to differ is that I think it is already well underway and that Arctic #2 is by stealth and salami tactics. Not a show piece law suit. Your representatives at IPSE seem quite unable to recognise this (by design that is exactly what HMG want) and have no idea what they can do anyway. Actually, they can do nothing. Even a rear guard action will fail, as per recent episodes. I am mighty glad I chucked it all in. I am sorry for those following me. Meanwhile TPTB at IPSE are still arguing amongst themselves about "the rules" at their rather pathetic internet forum at every given opportunity. Everyone else has now left.
            What a load of bollocks...

Congratulations on a post where every single point is wrong.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              They (HMRC/HMG) have learned. They now have different tactics. Loss of expenses, dividend tax, flat rate VAT, public sector IR35. To name just four where your esteemed representatives just rolled over. OK sure, they'll say they didn't. Your bank account tells a very different story. The cups of tea in Darwin street are the only thing they got from there. Perhaps a custard cream too, on a good day.

Arctic was THE defining high point. But you can't live off that reputation forever.
              This +100. HMRC have learnt a lot and are playing a far more co-ordinated game than they used to. Look at your examples above (ignoring the dividend tax).

1) Tightening up of Expense rules using Supervision / Direction / control - attempted extension to limited companies but changed to be only if inside IR35.
              2) public sector IR35 clearly defined and scoped to remove any means of legal attack...
              3) flat rate vat changes - targeted at employment only companies....

And the next set of changes will take a similar approach. Thankfully it won't destroy contracting as a whole but it will make it far harder for the typical bum on seat, easily substitutable contractor....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                This +100. HMRC have learnt a lot and are playing a far more co-ordinated game than they used to. Look at your examples above (ignoring the dividend tax).

1) Tightening up of Expense rules using Supervision / Direction / control - attempted extension to limited companies but changed to be only if inside IR35.
                2) public sector IR35 clearly defined and scoped to remove any means of legal attack...
                3) flat rate vat changes - targeted at employment only companies....

And the next set of changes will take a similar approach. Thankfully it won't destroy contracting as a whole but it will make it far harder for the typical bum on seat, easily substitutable contractor....
                Thanks. Unfortunately, it's rather unlike me, but I was tempted to click on show that other reply. It just reminded me why I keep the poster on ignore.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  What a load of bollocks...

Congratulations on a post where every single point is wrong.
                  Here you go Fred.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Here you go Fred.
                    That doesn't explain what post is rubbish though - but given that the poster didn't state why he felt the points were inaccurate with valid reasons I am following HMRC's processes while dealing with such responses - their would either ignore the response completely or if required reuse it to show that some people agreed with their viewpoint...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      That doesn't explain what post is rubbish though - but given that the poster didn't state why he felt the points were inaccurate with valid reasons I am following HMRC's processes while dealing with such responses - their would either ignore the response completely or if required reuse it to show that some people agreed with their viewpoint...
                      Just helping FB see Mal's post without having him having to press view.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X