• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Day Rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day Rate

Hi all, first time poster with only 1 contract under my belt. I've a quick question, I was hoping to get some thoughts on.

If I was to accept a day rate less than what I normally charge (have charged for first contract role) could subsequent employers only pay me my last day rate?

Thanks,
    Blackbeard

Nope.
    And they ain't your employers - if you don't understand that then go back to being permie.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
      Hi all, first time poster with only 1 contract under my belt. I've a quick question, I was hoping to get some thoughts on.

If I was to accept a day rate less than what I normally charge (have charged for first contract role) could subsequent employers only pay me my last day rate?

Thanks,
      Blackbeard
      If asked you can either lie or decline to say.

Comment

Thanks,
        Blackbeard
        Sounds like you've been hoodwinked by an agent.

Comment

In most cases never divulge your current rate when discussing next role. It will have no bearing.

Comment

Normally charge? You charge what the agent is willing to pay and can negotiate.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Normally charge? You charge what the agent is willing to pay and can negotiate.
              Psychocandy has taken over the old man's account!

Most proper contractors have a normal rate card and invite clients to bid up for their in demand skills.

Comment

Thanks,
                Blackbeard
                Maybe. I would talk to your manager about it during your yearly performance review.

Comment

They could - it depends on how well you negotiate.

Likewise, they could pay you significantly less or more than your last day rate - it depends on how well you negotiate.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Most contractors take a lower first rate to get established. Then increase to build a war chest.

Comment

Working...
                    X