Pension contributions from employer
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    10
    Thanks (Given)
    6
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Pension contributions from employer

    I work as a contractor through a limited company. Myself and my wife are directors and each of us have 50% shareholding. Both of us are employees of the company as well. I'm planning to enrol for workplace pensions. We are planning to contribute about 1% of salary as employee contribution. As for employer contribution, is it mandatory that both of us should receive the same amount of pension contribution from the company? Can one person receive more employer contribution than the other? What are the rules governing this area?

  2. #2

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    5
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Some of the rules

    The total of employer and employee contributions can't exceed £40k per person in each year (although you can use any unused allowance from the previous three years, so you need to work out what you and your wife have previously used). There is also a £1m lifetime allowance.

    If you make employers contributions into a SIPP then you need to be careful they don't automatically try to reclaim the tax from HMRC (since you won't have paid any). That's just something to watch out for if you use an online portal and bank card to pay it. My SIPP is in share.com and I found I had to phone them and give the payment details. All very easy but something to be aware of.

    I guess the other challenge is that the payment into your wife's pension may get HMRC scrutiny if it is disproportionate to the work she does for the company and the salary she is paid. If she is just an inactive director then paying both a salary and a pension might get scrutiny - or maybe not, you never know until the taxman comes knocking!

  3. #3

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,277
    Thanks (Given)
    137
    Thanks (Received)
    1360
    Likes (Given)
    1732
    Likes (Received)
    5827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suresh505 View Post
    I work as a contractor through a limited company. Myself and my wife are directors and each of us have 50% shareholding. Both of us are employees of the company as well. I'm planning to enrol for workplace pensions. We are planning to contribute about 1% of salary as employee contribution. As for employer contribution, is it mandatory that both of us should receive the same amount of pension contribution from the company? Can one person receive more employer contribution than the other? What are the rules governing this area?
    I bet you aren't.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  4. #4

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    27,002
    Thanks (Given)
    1283
    Thanks (Received)
    1032
    Likes (Given)
    4390
    Likes (Received)
    3955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suresh505 View Post
    I work as a contractor through a limited company. Myself and my wife are directors and each of us have 50% shareholding. Both of us are employees of the company as well. I'm planning to enrol for workplace pensions. We are planning to contribute about 1% of salary as employee contribution. As for employer contribution, is it mandatory that both of us should receive the same amount of pension contribution from the company? Can one person receive more employer contribution than the other? What are the rules governing this area?
    Do you pay at least NMW to all employees?

    Do you have a contract of employment?

    You are aware being an office holders of a company doesn't necessarily mean you are an employee, right?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  5. #5

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    10
    Thanks (Given)
    6
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Employer pension contributions

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveGrr View Post

    I guess the other challenge is that the payment into your wife's pension may get HMRC scrutiny if it is disproportionate to the work she does for the company and the salary she is paid. If she is just an inactive director then paying both a salary and a pension might get scrutiny

    I think you have nailed it above - that's exactly my concern. I'm a consultant and my wife is a secretary in the company. We both receive a salary of £11,500/year. It appears like, even though we can draw equal amounts of dividend each year, it may not be appropriate to draw equal amount of employer pension contributions. This is because, the pension contribution from the employer should correspond to the work done by the employee. Let's say, the company has £50,000 to contribute towards pensions - can we split it as £35,000 for me and £15,000 for my wife?

    (P.S.: I will be talking to my accountant about this as well but I would like to know some real world experience from people in this forum)

  6. #6

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    10
    Thanks (Given)
    6
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Employees of limited company

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    I bet you aren't.
    Could you please let me know why you say so? We both receive salary of about £11,500/year through PAYE. Is there anything I'm missing here?

  7. #7

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    10,288
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    208
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suresh505 View Post
    Could you please let me know why you say so? We both receive salary of about £11,500/year through PAYE. Is there anything I'm missing here?
    Yes. A contract of employment.
    Blog? What blog...?

  8. #8

    TykeLike

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    22,146
    Thanks (Given)
    226
    Thanks (Received)
    1118
    Likes (Given)
    806
    Likes (Received)
    2965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suresh505 View Post
    I think you have nailed it above - that's exactly my concern. I'm a consultant and my wife is a secretary in the company. We both receive a salary of £11,500/year. It appears like, even though we can draw equal amounts of dividend each year, it may not be appropriate to draw equal amount of employer pension contributions. This is because, the pension contribution from the employer should correspond to the work done by the employee. Let's say, the company has £50,000 to contribute towards pensions - can we split it as £35,000 for me and £15,000 for my wife?

    (P.S.: I will be talking to my accountant about this as well but I would like to know some real world experience from people in this forum)
    Why would pensions corresponded to the work done for the company but not the salary?
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

  9. #9

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    27,002
    Thanks (Given)
    1283
    Thanks (Received)
    1032
    Likes (Given)
    4390
    Likes (Received)
    3955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suresh505 View Post
    I think you have nailed it above - that's exactly my concern. I'm a consultant and my wife is a secretary in the company. We both receive a salary of £11,500/year. It appears like, even though we can draw equal amounts of dividend each year, it may not be appropriate to draw equal amount of employer pension contributions. This is because, the pension contribution from the employer should correspond to the work done by the employee. Let's say, the company has £50,000 to contribute towards pensions - can we split it as £35,000 for me and £15,000 for my wife?

    (P.S.: I will be talking to my accountant about this as well but I would like to know some real world experience from people in this forum)
    Is your wife a fee earner for the company?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  10. #10

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    10
    Thanks (Given)
    6
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Is your wife a fee earner for the company?
    I guess you are asking if my wife generates revenue for the company. The answer would probably be "No" - she is only a secretary in the company.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.