Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 34
    ASB

Godlike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A minor point on company contributions is to make sure your provider will take company contributions and also that they know any given contribution is a company contribution.

Should post faster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by suresh505 View Post
    I think that is probably the best thing to do in my scenario. In the pension regulator's website, it only mentions the salary details (and age) to decide if auto enrollment is applicable or not. Can I assume that both the directors can be exempt from auto enrollment even if we receive a salary (£11,500 each) ?
    As long as:

all employees are directors without contracts of employment (you won't have or I assume you would know about it) then the company has no responsibility under auto enrolment.

If you are unsure about the online notification to the pensions regulator then you could try giving them a call.

Should post faster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick@Intouch View Post
    It might be better for you to setup personal arrangements that the company then makes employer based contributions to. This would be easy to do and would allow you to control the contributions as well as the way that they are invested.

I recently spoke to my accountant regarding this. He says that contributing pensions through auto enrollment scheme is free of charge and that SIPP providers charge a fee. Could you let me know what additional features does a SIPP offer? Is it worth the cost?

More time posting than coding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Charges

I recently spoke to my accountant regarding this. He says that contributing pensions through auto enrollment scheme is free of charge and that SIPP providers charge a fee. Could you let me know what additional features does a SIPP offer? Is it worth the cost?
    You may find this charges comparison useful:-

Auto enrol charges
    2016 Contractor UK Forum Adviser of the Year
    Wow!

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
    You may find this charges comparison useful:-

Auto enrol charges

Thanks. So, it appears like even if I choose auto enrollment, there is an Annual Management Charge (AMC) that I need to pay as an employee. From the link you had provided, this varies between 0.30% to 0.75%. I now need to compare this against fees charged by SIPP providers.

I live on CUK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. So, it appears like even if I choose auto enrollment, there is an Annual Management Charge (AMC) that I need to pay as an employee. From the link you had provided, this varies between 0.30% to 0.75%. I now need to compare this against fees charged by SIPP providers.
    I would also check what you can invest in.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Contractor Among Contractors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm...pensions are on the edge of a typical accountant's expertise, but I don't think the above is necessarily true.

If you're a contractor, my view would be you want to avoid auto enrolment if you can. AFAIK auto enrolment is basically just about forcing you/your company to pay a minimum amount each month, based on salary, with lots of submissions and admin crap going along with it. Opting out doesn't mean you can't contribute to a pension, just means you can do it as/when you see fit.

If a pension is investing funds in a certain way there will likely be some kind of charges linked to that. This is where you get the debate about active vs passive management, with most people seemingly thinking passive (ie auto follows the FTSE/whatever, not relying on some expert to out guess the market) is better, as they typically have lower charges.

Still gathering requirements...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pay pension contribution to wife, employed by company, 20% shareholder

So i've read this thread and some others on contractor uk relating to pensions.

What I want to do is pay some money from the company from last FY and this FY into her existing Old Mutual pension.

Company circumstances

Director 80% shareholder
    Wife/Admin/bookkeeping etc 20% shareholder (no other titles/responsibility) - Salary approx £200/month
    Company had been trading since july 2016

I get the idea that auto enrolment just means admin hassles.

The company wants to pay my wife a pension contribution as 2 lump sums, equal to or less than salary paid to a pension that amalgamated pension from several employers into one by Old Mutual.

So just get the payment details from Old Mutual, send the money in two lumps, letting them know it is a company contribution and not to reclaim tax on it.

Is that likely to be ok.

Company director does not need/want pension contributions at present.

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You know auto enrolment doesn't apply? How much will you be paying to your wifes pot?
    Do we assume there is no accountant in the picture?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast