• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Donations to charity - paying from company vs personal account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donations to charity - paying from company vs personal account

I've been considering making charitable donations through my company instead of my personal funds recently, as it appears more efficient from my calcs. By this, I mean the charity can receive the same amount at a lower cost to my take-home pay, or equivalently I can pay more to the charity at the same cost to my take home pay.

I'm trying to validate this, but can't find any articles with a clear answer as to which is better. There are some old threads on this forum around the question - where some people conclude that personal contributions are more efficient. However nobody has outlined their calculations in detail, and I disagree with their logic as I don't think they're considering the full picture. I don't want to drag up 2-year old threads, so I'll outline my thoughts with a full example. Please let me know if I'm making any errors or wrong assumptions here.

The example below is for a contractor donating what they can from £100 worth of company income, assuming a limited company structure earning under £300k, and with most of their income from dividends. I'm showing scenarios for basic rate and higher rate taxpayers separately.

Basic rate taxpayer

Paying from company

£100 donated in full to charity. No corporation tax is due on this amount
    Charity receives £100

Net cost to contractor is what they would have received had the kept the money:
    £100 * (1 - [20% corp tax]) * (1 - [7.5% dividend tax])
    = £100 * 80% * 92.5%
    = £74

Paying from personal funds

£74 donated to charity - as per above calcs this is what remains from the £100 company earnings after corp tax and dividend taxes
    Charity claims 25% gift aid
    Charity receives £92.5

Net cost to contractor: £74

Winner: Company paying. For a cost of £74 to the contractors take home pay, the charity receives £100 via the company route vs £92.5 via the personal route

#################################################

Higher rate taxpayer

Paying from company

£100 donated in full to charity. No corporation tax is due on this amount
    Charity receives £100

Net cost to contractor is what they would have received had the kept the money:
    £100 * (1 - [20% corp tax]) * (1 - [32.5% dividend tax])
    = £100 * 80% * 67.5%
    = £54

Paying from personal funds

£54 donated to charity - as per above calcs this is what remains after taxes
    Charity claims 25% gift aid, and receives £67.5
    Contractor can claim back from HMRC an additional 20% of the £67.5 amount the charity receives, based on the difference between basic and higher tax rate, i.e. they claim £13.50
    Contractor donates this £13.50 to the charity
    Charity receives a final total of £81

Net cost to contractor: £54

Winner: Company paying. For a cost of £54 to the contractors take home pay, the charity receives £100 via the company route vs £81 via the personal route
    Last edited by Zylon; 30 September 2017, 16:07.

You can put the charitable donations on your SAR and get a bit knocked off your personal tax liability. Not sure how that works TBH

Comment

Working...
    X