• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Registering Company Name that was previously dissolved

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registering Company Name that was previously dissolved

Hi All,
    Landed my first gig and now need to register my LTD company.
    Looking online, the name I was hoping to use was already registered but previously dissolved (liquidation) in 2013. It would also match up to a domain name I was going to purchase.

I have no ties to the dissolved company. Just want to use the name. From reading online it seems that it is possible but should be cautious incase the company has a previously bad rep.

Has anyone had any experience within registering a previously used company name?
    Thanks in advance

Dunno really. Many people aren't really that precious about the company name and often use a play on initials and things like that. Some of the biggest companies in the world are people's names.

If you do want to go down this route though try using companycheck or similar to see if you can find what it was used for and the previous directors to see what they are up to know. If there was a ton of debt or the director appears to open and close companies regularly it might be worth a rethink.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I wouldn't be precious about a company name, especially if you need it fast.

Also note that you can trade as another name no matter what the LTD is called.

And you can use a slightly different name. EG. If "Stockholm Projects LTD" isn't available how about "Stockholm Projects Limited". I use that example as there is a dissolved company with the same name as mine, that only differs in the LTD bit.
      You could even use "Stockholm Projects Holding LTD" or other expansions.

But when you say you've landed a gig, have you actually? Not without a signed contract you haven't, and without a LTD then you cannot even have a contract offered by the agency yet. You presumably have the word of the agent?
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        But when you say you've landed a gig, have you actually? Not without a signed contract you haven't, and without a LTD then you cannot even have a contract offered by the agency yet. You presumably have the word of the agent?
        Well that was my thought, tbh. Why did the other two not want it....

However, on the basis the gig is live, all our other advice stands of course.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You can use the name of a dissolved company. I think there's a time limit but I can't remember how long.

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          And you can use a slightly different name. EG. If "Stockholm Projects LTD" isn't available how about "Stockholm Projects Limited". I use that example as there is a dissolved company with the same name as mine, that only differs in the LTD bit.?
          That's not the case. Ltd = Limited. I guess you've assumed (understandably) otherwise because you used Ltd, not Limited. But if you'd used Limited, you'd still have got it.

Also, the extensions bit, like Holdings or UK or similar, would fail because you'd need permission from the existing company to use a similar name.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
            Also, the extensions bit, like Holdings or UK or similar, would fail because you'd need permission from the existing company to use a similar name.
            Changes were made on January 31st 2015 to the rules for company and business names. The use of the word ‘holding’ (or ‘holdings’) is no longer considered ‘sensitive’. You can now include this word in your company name without seeking permission from Companies House.

( https://www.1stformations.co.uk/blog...lding-company/ )
            Taking a break from contracting

Comment

After Googling the only answer I've found is someone calling up Companies House. They were told that if the company had been struck off they could reuse the name. However be aware that some company formation agents will have difficulty registering the name even though you will be assigned a different company number as it is a different company.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                You can use the name of a dissolved company. I think there's a time limit but I can't remember how long.

That's not the case. Ltd = Limited. I guess you've assumed (understandably) otherwise because you used Ltd, not Limited. But if you'd used Limited, you'd still have got it.

OK.
                All I did was register my company directly with Companies House and it worked. So perhaps the OP should try that.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                  Changes were made on January 31st 2015 to the rules for company and business names. The use of the word ‘holding’ (or ‘holdings’) is no longer considered ‘sensitive’. You can now include this word in your company name without seeking permission from Companies House.

( https://www.1stformations.co.uk/blog...lding-company/ )
                  Indeed. But there's rules concerning similar names. You need permission from the existing company.

Comment

Working...
                  X