• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ripped off by agency on the rate due to lies? what are my options?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patek View Post

As a result i lost £55 per day off the rate they originally offered - i've been in the position for 8 weeks, with 4 months to go, but i did not sign the contract (and he's never asked for it).
    Big big no no before starting a contract.

Comment

You may have stated in other posts but who was the agency ?

Comment

Resolved
        Last edited by Patek; 15 September 2017, 10:57.

Comment

I've read the contract again top to bottom and there is nothing in there mentioning or even related to post termination restrictions

So even if I've accepted the contract by showing up, as there are no post termination details mentioned, is there anything else I'm missing preventing me from moving across to another agent at the correct rate ?

Really curious guys and thanks for the future tips
          What would worry me at this stage is not the contract but the

worst case scenario [...] serve out the 4 months and they will figure out how I can move across
          That is very vague. If you are serious, you want to manage this now. In four months it will be forgotten and in the 'too much trouble' pile.

Comment

I've read the contract again top to bottom and there is nothing in there mentioning or even related to post termination restrictions

So even if I've accepted the contract by showing up, as there are no post termination details mentioned, is there anything else I'm missing preventing me from moving across to another agent at the correct rate ?

Really curious guys and thanks for the future tips
            You may not have any restrictions (although I would be surprised if there aren't any somewhere). The client however may well have one in their contract for supply with the agency though, and you won't get to see that one. Either way unless the client tells the agency and agrees a commercial settlement, you will have problems.

BTW, let's get one thing clear. You are a contractor, nobody owes you anything and in real terms you have few if any rights to anything, including work. Make too much fuss, or p*** off the wrong people and you end up with no contract at all...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Resolved
              Last edited by Patek; 15 September 2017, 10:57.

Comment

That's very strange, either the wording is not clear to you, or the agent has no idea how to write a contract - and most agents either use variations on a standard one, or have legal departments that draw them up.

...is there anything else I'm missing preventing me from moving across to another agent...
                Yes, if your current agent has handcuff clauses with the client.

Please also re-read your contract and any other documentation the agent may have sent through to you which talk about:
                Employment Restriction
                Termination
                Discusssing contracts/terms with the client
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'm losing £1000 a month from this arrangement so it's certainly not much trouble when you are on my sort of rate.

Don't worry about my comment, I was being wound up when I posted that this morning by some others members. Thanks for your time replying though I do appreciate it. Cheers
                  It may be too much trouble for the client in four months' time.

Comment

Oldest trick in the book this one. Seen it time and time again. £55 per day in the agents back pocket.

You can try and speak to the client about it if you're on good terms with them. A lot of clients will be a little unhappy at agencies doing this.

I saw it with a newbie contractor a few gigs ago. Client was not pleased because they'd been lied to as well. But in the end nothing ever happened about it. Big company red tape etc. Fair play to the agent knowing he could get away with it.

Only thing you can do at this point is tell client and agency you're going to walk. Just keep client onside with this. Need big nadgers for this mind. Agency will see the bluff straight away.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

The £1000 per month that you are "losing" is enough to justify changing your name to "Timex" 💎
                      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                      X