• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Discriminating against a brexiteer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is legal to refuse employment to somebody who is a BNP member. I cannot see why being pro or anti Brexit is any different. Seems rather silly.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      I think it is legal to refuse employment to somebody who is a BNP member. I cannot see why being pro or anti Brexit is any different. Seems rather silly.
      But that is presuming someone who holds Brexit political views also holds discriminatory ones as well.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        But that is presuming someone who holds Brexit political views also holds discriminatory ones as well.
        IIRC BNP membership is sufficient without any need to demonstrate discriminatory views. Not sure why any other political view should be different. Could Google it I guess.

But the original post is distasteful in a democracy IMO.

Comment

IIRC BNP membership is sufficient without any need to demonstrate discriminatory views.
          Yep.

Not sure why any other political view should be different. Could Google it I guess.
          Just being a Brexiter doesn't mean you have a political philosophy that other people are inferior or should be discriminated against based on their characteristics, which is different from being a member of a group like the BNP who have such a philosophy. There are a few articles like this one - linky that indicate this.

There are exceptions in the Equality act to this like these but this excludes the original question.

But the original post is distasteful in a democracy IMO.
          Yep and the OP could end up in hot water as the person could take the OP to court and go public if they were rejected for "just" being a Brexiter. With the mood of the country at the moment they would easily be able to crowd fund their claim as well to get very good legal representation.

Comment

It is worth thinking about the attributes of Brexiteers that the OP considers unsuitable for employment and judging on those. By all means reject cretins, gullible tabloid readers and racists. But there will be probably be a minority of Brexiteers who fit none of those categories. You may find am eccentric and that could work out fine.

Comment

It is worth thinking about the attributes of Brexiteers that the OP considers unsuitable for employment and judging on those. By all means reject cretins, gullible tabloid readers and racists. But there will be probably be a minority of Brexiteers who fit none of those categories. You may find am eccentric and that could work out fine.
              exactly this. ^^^^^

I know a handful who made a thoughtful decision and have total respect for their views.
              Only a fool would class 52% of the population as all the same. It would simply be an indicator, and considering the actual role, it would be a reasonable pointer towards the attitude of the candidate and how they will manage some potentially very difficult discussions with our continental friends/partners.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It's easy enough.

Ask the candidate what opportunities Brexit might offer for clientCo. If they can't see any at all and can only foresee gloom, then give them the job. If they can see any positives, then they're clearly not for you.

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  It's easy enough.

Ask the candidate what opportunities Brexit might offer for clientCo. If they can't see any at all and can only foresee gloom, then give them the job. If they can see any positives, then they're clearly not for you.

HTH.
                  They may see positives, and unlike the people who normally post on here, be the one rare individual who has a logical grasp on how they can be realistically implemented.

Comment

If the ClientCo are lawyers, accountants, security firm or IT consultants, the opportunities will be there as and when they are told what needs to be changed/implemented.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I assume you mean interviewing a contractor: I'm not aware there can be 'discrimination' in that situation ie engaging a service provider. In other words I would think you can say what you like.

On the separate matter of whether it is logical, you need to remember that 65% of Nobel Prize winners declare they believe in God. You can have weird ideologies without it affecting the competence of your day job.
                      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X