• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about income tax on dividends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I siphon off the 7.5% every time i draw a dividend. Is this not common practice?

Comment

There is a slight caveat. In my case, HMRC collect my dividend tax through my PAYE code. So I don't need to make a POA payment in Self Assessment, because I am paying it in PAYE. HMRC estimate that my dividends will be the same in 2017/18 as they were in 2016/17 and base it on that. I can tell them if I think otherwise.

The numbers are the same, of course. It just blunts the pain a bit.
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
        I siphon off the 7.5% every time i draw a dividend. Is this not common practice?
        You'd be surprised, or maybe not. I have a separate bank account into which I stash money that I think I will owe HMRC but there are a lot of people who don't put aside even the VAT they collect (which was never theirs in the first place).

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
          Yes you should.

You should have an account for bills like that preferably with a different financial institution. That way if you are overdrawn on your main account, the bank can't help themselves to that money.

Btw It does happen
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
          X